• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O-rings on power steering lines

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ... I'm getting ready to rebuild my power steering gear box. I bought the rebuild kit, but I forgot to get the o-rings for the hydraulic lines that go into the box. I live 40 miles from the nearest store.

Is it ok to just unbolt the lines and bolt them back in again without replacing the o-rings? Anybody else ever done that? The lines are not leaking now.

I'd at least try it and see. I've done it before with no problems at all. If the o-rings look good they probably are. Unless they're ragged, you should at least be able to get to the store for new ones. If there's no seepage at all, I wouldn't even bother to do that.

I'd worry more about getting the fittings off without twisting the lines. Maybe you don't have the rust problems we do here, but it can be difficult, and sometimes just plain impossible, to get the nut to turn freely on the tube.

Hi Matthew. Thanks for your answer. I'm lucky ... here in Montana, we don't have salt on the roads. We just have snow on the roads LOL. Most vehicles here have 4WD or AWD

I went ahead and pulled the gearbox today and the lines came off with no problems. I'll be sure to post back here on how the old o-rings work.

Thanks.

If it's the return line O rings I searched at several auto parts places, including the dealer, and finally found the right ones at the local hardware store in the plumbing section as faucet gaskets. Work great and can't beat the price at 2 for $1-

Mike

Is there a garage around there? Any of them should have a shelf full of o-rings. If any of yours turn up damaged (any kind of nick or tear or pinch) just take it down there with a couple of $1 bills and I bet they will be happy to help.

been a couple months now. i also used gas safe teflon tape on the fittings. no leaks as to this day. if i had the time i wouldve went to a hydraulic hose store but i didnt know of any close so i used ones that fit and they havent leaked at all.

Back