• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning Engine Bay

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Driving along today and lost the upper coolant line. Apparently I didn't get the clamp tight after pulling the valve cover. My engine and underside of the hood are covered in antifreeze. Recommendations for cleaning it??

No water on the TPS.

Simple green works great.

Just spray with

EDIT: TIM, you and I repsonded at the same time...I'll watch out for the TPS.

Do you really even need to use a cleaner for antifreeze? It's water soluble so I usually just rinse it off real well. Never noticed any residue afterwards.

I've got oil and all manners of crap in there, so I might just as well clean it at the same time.

Oh, well in that case, Simple Green works well. :)

I just use the hose with a spray nozzle on it. After each washing I spray the engine compartment and engine down. Eventually it gets cleaner and easier to see a problem.
Ron
Only been doing this to my vechicles for 40 years +

x2 on Simple Green, cool motor, with hose pressure only. After I am done I spray silicone tire dressing on everything. Mine still looks almost new with 208K on the odometer. I would be a little hesitant to use a pressure washer anywhere near the electronics...plus it is overkill if you regularly clean your engine bay.

For your initial cleaning, you may want to use the engine degreaser, as the Simple Green will not cut the heavy grease deposits real well. But once you start cleaning regularly, Simple Green is more than sufficient.

A combination of Purple Power, GUNK engine bright and a pressure washer.

Gunk engine brite works good, just don't use the gel stuff. Little trick, pick up the Advance Auto Parts HD Engine Degreaser instead. It's Gunk Engine Brite in an Advance can. Not to mention the Advance can is larger, and cheaper! That stuff is made here just outside of Charlotte. I worked for them last summer doing an internship...learned all kinds of neat little tricks they do!

Gunk engine brite works good, just don't use the gel stuff. Little trick, pick up the Advance Auto Parts HD Engine Degreaser instead. It's Gunk Engine Brite in an Advance can. Not to mention the Advance can is larger, and cheaper! That stuff is made here just outside of Charlotte. I worked for them last summer doing an internship...learned all kinds of neat little tricks they do!

What is wrong with the Gel? I've used the gel stuff before, not to clean the engine bay but to clean loose parts and it seemed really good. I like the foaming stuff best.

The gel isn't as soluable as a foam or spray, it needs more of a "you wipe/scrub stuff" touch to get things clean. I'm personally a fan of Greased Lightning, if you can't find that, next is Purple Power. But Simple Green works well also. Just so you don't have any problems, cover up the tps/fusebox/anything else that could cause some serious damage if it were to get wet, with a plastic grocery bag or something of the sort. I'm usually just careful where I spray, but if its your first cleaning and there's alot of junk under the hood chances are you're going to use alot of water and alot of cleaner, just better safe than sorry.

Mike

What is wrong with the Gel? I've used the gel stuff before, not to clean the engine bay but to clean loose parts and it seemed really good. I like the foaming stuff best.

The gel isn't as soluable as a foam or spray, it needs more of a "you wipe/scrub stuff" touch to get things clean. I'm personally a fan of Greased Lightning, if you can't find that, next is Purple Power. But Simple Green works well also. Just so you don't have any problems, cover up the tps/fusebox/anything else that could cause some serious damage if it were to get wet, with a plastic grocery bag or something of the sort. I'm usually just careful where I spray, but if its your first cleaning and there's alot of junk under the hood chances are you're going to use alot of water and alot of cleaner, just better safe than sorry.

Mike

This. I tried the gel once, using the spray on - wait a few minutes - rinse off method that you use with the regular stuff and it left a residue that's still on there today.

This. I tried the gel once, using the spray on - wait a few minutes - rinse off method that you use with the regular stuff and it left a residue that's still on there today.

Ah, makes sense and good to know. The stuff I was cleaning was off the vehicle and I was spraying and using a brush then rinsing pretty heavily.

When I purchased my 2000 it had some fault codes that pointed to the 'coil over rack' being bad. The mechanic said that they go bad and internally short across the coils and have to be replaced at a cost north of $100 - the guy that had it before us NEVER cleaned his engine, I could scrap 'muck' off under the coil over bar - after much Simple Green used on the UNDERSIDE of the bar with gentle scrubbing the spark did not track across the coils anymore (it was tracking thru the muck) so i suggest that you clean under there well!

Back