• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to lift - and torn...

Bleckers3

NAXJA Forum User
I have 90% of the RE 3.5 super flex kit at the house. I have their 1600 track bar, which will suffice for now. Plan to order JKS disco and some shocks. Prolly rusty's for now, since they are made by "monroe's" parent company and have had decent reviews.

I really prefer the idea of the BDS 4.5 Long Arm. Keeps stock style geometry, good axle control, beefy (although kinda low) cross member...

I have a 98 so a SYE is going in either way.

I keep bouncing back and forth in my head between these ideas:

1: Install RE 3.5 learn to enjoy.

2: Sell RE parts and get full BDS Kit.:smoker:

3: Run RE 3.5 for a while, then add Long Arm upgrade kit, front coils and rear shackles. ( obv with shocks and long travel track bar. Probably U turn steering too.)

For now it's a my beater for work/play. Much easier to fix than the car...

:helpme:
1998 4.0l Auto, 231, 8.25 rear.

Run it!Then upgrade later,gears,lockers,etc..

I agree...run it. I have that lift on mine and have no problems at all.

If you have a 4 Wheel Parts or other off-road store near you that does lift installs, run over there and ask if they have a set of factory JK shocks from a Rubicon or X model that they swapped out. Those are good replacements for a 3.5" lift. I did just that and got a set of shocks for $20 that had less than 5,000 miles on them.

You'll want to upgrade that trackbar soon. I bought the whole RE 4.5" kit and went on one run with the 1600 trackbar before it came loose and I got the 1660 kit.

But yeah, run it, upgrade later when you have more dough, and sell the old parts.

Aside from being a bit pricey, any thoughts on the kevins off road track bar. I like the melding of JKS and a simple stout bracket. Or Tnt or Claytons....

Are the JK shocks really long enough for the RE 3.5? I'm sure they are with swaybars attached, but once loose?

I would use the RE 3.5 setup for now, you will keep the springs anyway so might as well get them installed now.

The front JK shocks aren't long enough by themselves (the rears are fine). If you get an extender for the fronts they will be long enough for street use but not for articulation. If you are looking at a free set then run them short-term with some extenders in the front, but look to replace the fronts asap.

Yeah the Rear springs just need a shackle for a 4.5. The fronts can either be spaced or move to a true 4.5 coil...I may just get fresh shocks. $33 a shock isn't horrible. I'm not getting Bilsteins till it matters. Rather have an E-locker or 4.56 gears down the road.

Aside from being a bit pricey, any thoughts on the kevins off road track bar. I like the melding of JKS and a simple stout bracket. Or Tnt or Claytons....

I have the KOR track bar and am quite happy with it. I'd agree with everyone else though - Run what you got for now, then upgrade later. Try to grab one of the upgrades used and save yourself some coin.

That's how I got the 3.5. I got coils, trackbar, like new control arms, and rear leaves for 300. It also included some old shocks and a pitman arm. But those are not needed.

Back