• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Watered down 4.0 question

Mikel

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I have a chance to buy a relatively cheap 2000 Cherokee. The engine blew a head gasket and it was run for a while with coolant in the oil. The head gasket was fixed, but now oil pressure is low (about 10PSI idle warm) and a faint bearing noise can be heard.

I was thinking of pulling the pan from underneath and replacing the bearings, hoping the crank journals aren't scored. The cam bearings are out of reach for this. Is this worth doing, or am I better off getting another 4.0?
Thanks.
Mikel

How cheap? Figure $300-600 for a junkyard 4.0L and another $500 for install if you can't do it yourself. A crate motor is around $1500-$1800 plus install. If the body is in good shape and depending on which way you want to go with the engine do the math to see if it's worth it to you.

If there is a knock I wouldn't even mess with that engine. You could do all that work and if it's the cam bearings you would still have a sick engine. 10psi cold is not horrible, you could always buy it and drive it till it blows then replace it.

Last edited:
I've helped stuff crank and rod bearings in multiple engines with pretty good luck. It doesn't really cost you to pull the pan and take a look. Then you can make an educated decision.

Back