• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rugged Ridge SYE install review 92 XJ

marc davis

NAXJA Forum User
I installed Rugged Ridge SYE in my NP231 this weekend. I thought others, thinking about buying this kit, might like a quick review.

The parts came looking very nice. The packaging was not great. Not enough padding for parts this heavy. The end of the shaft was sticking out of the side of the box.

The instruction are OK but not great. Look around the web for other instructions and photos to supplement the ones provided.

Overall the install went OK. The main snap ring provided had some burrs on it and I had to clean it up with a file before it would fit the grove in the shaft. The speedo gear had some mold flashing that had to be removed before it would fit the shaft. The biggest problem was that the bolt hole pattern was machined wrong. It was rotated a few degrees from the casting. As a result the bolts would not thread in the holes. I had to grind the area where the shift rod is so I could rotate the casting to fit.

The instructions say you may have to cut the shift rod if it's 10.2 inches long and mine was. I cut it off using a cutoff wheel in the grinder. Not to hard.

Overall the product is what you would expect from Chinese vendor. More of a work in progress then a finished product.

So far it's working Ok. 20 miles and counting.

BTW I have an automatic transmission. For a new rear driveshaft I used a front driveshaft from a 92 XJ automatic. With a 3 inch lift it works OK on the road but I'm thinking I'll need to extend it for trail use. We'll see.

It was easier to fix the one I had then it would have been to box it up, ship it, and wait for a new unit while my Jeep tied up the shop. Besides, since I have no experience with the company, I didn't know if a replacement would be any better than the one I have. If my review seemed overly negative, I didn't mean it to be. I paid about $170 and I think got my money's worth.

Marc

A buddy of mine had the same issues with his RR kit,I told him not to buy it.You can get the JB kit for the same price.

Just thought I'd give a quick update. I've had the RR kit installed for 5 months now. I drive the jeep 3-5 times a week, not much trail time. So far the RR is holding up fine and the front drive shaft moved to the rear is working well.

Marc

I installed a RR SYE kit on my 2000 XJ two weeks ago and am happy with it so far. The instructions weren't the best so I referenced the Advance Adapters SYE install video on youtube. A quality set of snap ring pliers is key to a smooth install. I used a front shaft out of a 97 XJ and am very happy with the results.

i've installed 3 of the rugged ridge sye on 3 different rigs and i didn't experience any of the problems you listed. other than having to shave down the shift rod on one of the tcases.

my guess is it's just the lack of quality assurance on rugged ridges part. you just have more bad ones than some of the better companies. but with that said i plan on buying one for my rig when i get around to it

i ordered a RR SYE for my last xj.. also paid $169 shipped. worked and installed well, but after about a year, started hearing a light clank sound when i'd let off the gas.. not sure if it was tranny or tcase tho.. sold the jeep before i fixed it.

Back