• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a transmission?

doglove

NAXJA Forum User
I want to replace the 170,000 mile transmission on my 99 cherokee because it's 1. losing fluid and has had slipping gears/refusal to go in before and 2. is a backup for hauling a horse trailer.

I've looked at rebuilt engines before, but never transmissions. How would you go about it, what would you be willing to pay, and do you have any advice?

Is it even possible to rebuild an automatic myself, and if so would it be reliable? I can't have the thing leaving me on the side of the road with a horse and dogs when we're running from a hurricane.

Don't bother with a rebuild, AW4's are plentyful & inexpensive.
Find a Used AW4 in a junkyard & swap it in,
It's a couple of hours work.

I'll start looking around. Back in Georgia there's a Jeep only salvage yard, and I miss it. Having to hunt things down around here is a PITA.

Don't bother with a rebuild, AW4's are plentyful & inexpensive.
Find a Used AW4 in a junkyard & swap it in,
It's a couple of hours work.

And if you want it to last a long time after you swap it in do a complete drain/install new Dex3 fluid.
Install a good quality tranny cooler (I recommend a B&M 70264)
+ install a magnefine inline tranny fluid filter. http://www.amazon.com/Transtar-Indu...3VR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317850802&sr=8-1

Cheap insurance & your AW4 will love you for it!

Back