• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover gasket question

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I replaced the OEM gasket in the XJ with an aftermarket of the same kind. It is the rubber gasket with the metal strand running though the middle.

The OEM set up had metal "eyelets" that were on the top of the pan for the screws to feed though. The aftermarket had plastic ones. Not having a torque wrench, I tightened them down until they were tight. Afterwards I noticed that the plastic eyelets were compressed.

I was told that snug is good enough on a valve cover, but have I compromised anything by making them tight to the first turn on the socket wrench? I tend to think no, becuase the gasket is a seperate entity and it is fully compressed now between the engine and the cover. But then again I know that some gaskets can be compromised by overtightening...such as the tranny pan gasket.

Thoughts?

It is possible that you warped the VC or the gasket but I doubt it. I say drive it as is and keep an eye on it to see if it's leaking at all. Also make sure to check your oil levels every week or so for a while just to be sure you aren't losing any oil.

If your XJ is a 96, you should have reused the metal spacers. They should go through the new plastic grommets that came with the valve cover gasket. The metal spacers keep you from over-torqing the valve cover bolts.

If your XJ is a 96, you should have reused the metal spacers. They should go through the new plastic grommets that came with the valve cover gasket. The metal spacers keep you from over-torqing the valve cover bolts.

That would have made sense. My XJ is a 2001, though, but that shouldn't make a real diffrence I wouldn't bet.

You think they'd have sent an instruction sheet in the box!

no need for instructions dirk! if it aint leakin by now, you didn't hurt it. valve covers like to be tighter than tranny pans.

thats what she said....

if it aint leakin by now, you didn't hurt it.

I haven't run it yet so I don't know if it is leaking. I suspect I am ok.

I still had the old metal plugs that I hadn't tossed yet. I'll run it awhile and see what it is doing and if need by go get a second set of rubber eyelets and swap them right quick.

I've got 2 other Jeeps, and 04 WJ and a 96 ZJ to do the gaskets on so I'll do the next ones right. I decided to do the XJ first so I had one under my belt before I did the 2 daily drivers. I like that my XJ can be my guinea pig on projects I haven't done before!

Back