• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD rocker replacement.

twodoorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like there are a lot of good writeups out there, but either the pictures are missing, or deadlinks, or the website doesnt exist anymore (madxj.com).

Now, because my XJ is a 2 door, i know im going to need to add extra support to the frame rails, so i dont taco it.

Can anyone share their experiences with this? Pics? Anyone have any good links to write ups?

Thanks!

If your talking about an actual rocker replacement,there is no difference between a 2DR and a 4DR.

Right, but you're still adding stronger metal in place of the flimsy sheetmetal that did the job before, right?

Right, but you're still adding stronger metal in place of the flimsy sheetmetal that did the job before, right?

Yes? I was just looking for someone that did it to a jeep, that also used outriggers to the frame. I was just specifying that i was looking for someone who did something similar, and how it held up.

Look up Jeeperjohn's setup. I can't recall if he used outriggers.

I'm doing this myself for a 4dr and am pretty set on 4x2 3/16 wall but a friend of mine says 1/8 wall is all I'll need and it's much easier to weld 1/8 to the sheet metal. I also dont we my jeep very much at all so..

i'll try to get some pictures of my setup tomorrow for you. it hasn't been wheeled yet, or out of the garage, but i did the stand offs. two are in place. i just need to figure out the 3rd one. you'll run into issues because the rocker will end really close to the front leaf spring frame mount.

i just need to figure out the 3rd one. you'll run into issues because the rocker will end really close to the front leaf spring frame mount.
Thats not an issue,its a blessing,you need to tie it into your mounts.

yeah i know i just haven't sat down and looked at it long enough to figure out the best way to do it for me. my cage foot plate is directly above the front mount. so i can't cut into the floor. i just need figure out a way to cut the 2x2 tubing to tie it all together and still support the rocker.

yeah i know i just haven't sat down and looked at it long enough to figure out the best way to do it for me. my cage foot plate is directly above the front mount. so i can't cut into the floor. i just need figure out a way to cut the 2x2 tubing to tie it all together and still support the rocker.

Thats the bleesing,my roll bar ties into my slider and the front spring mount.

I bought the kit from Gen Right to replace the rockers and it came with 2x4" box tube, 5' long. Pretty sure I'm going to have to repalce that with longer pieces of 2x6"...

Thanks for the links guys.

I decided on the 2x6 with 2x2 outriggers to the frame, 4 of them on each side

Thats the bleesing,my roll bar ties into my slider and the front spring mount.

you wouldn't happen to have a pic of how you tied it all in would you?

oh and my rockers are 2x4. i have them mounted flush with the edge of the doors. i need to get some tubing bent to weld on the outside for a little step and door protection.

2x6 tubing would make life much easier.

you wouldn't happen to have a pic of how you tied it all in would you?

oh and my rockers are 2x4. i have them mounted flush with the edge of the doors. i need to get some tubing bent to weld on the outside for a little step and door protection.

2x6 tubing would make life much easier.

Mine aren't replacements but bolt on sliders,but this still might help.It also doesnt show the leaf spring bolt tab.
_1A_00345.jpg

Back