• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ 4.0L HELP!

That_1_Dude

NAXJA Forum User
i fear the worst my friends, just got back from the trails and besides a rediculous amount body damage........she over heated about 3 times and now she is dumping fuel running extremly rich and stalling when coming to stops, sputtering pretty nice like! i fear the worse possible burnt valves, warped head.....has anybody seen this and have any idea, or can give me a pretty solid answer? :doh:

thank you so much i really appreciate it

1988 XJ 4.0L
5 speed

Do a complete physical inspection, including the exhaust pipe (collapsed and or cracked blowing on the block), the sensors, sensor wires, especially the O2 sensor and O2 sensors wires (they love to get tangled in the front driveshaft), CTS and its wires for starters. If you went through mud, or such clean the radiator and AC condenser for starters.

I agree with Mike. Time for a complete physical. Simple stuff first.

This type of issue is hard for us to help you with until you narrow it down a bit.

Time to get dirty (again).

haha well what else is new.....if you aint dirty from the trails your gettin dirty from workin on it. i will try to narrow it down a little today and tell yall what i found/ didnt find!

Allllllrrriiggghttyyyy, so i crawled under her, checked the O2 sensor.....no wires torn, no pipes crushed in. Disconnected battery and came inside to check some wiring diagrams i had....made a nice fancy list of every sensor/actuator that controlled or regulated fuel trims.......went to sensor number 1 on my list........and <Drum roll> plugged the hose back into the MAP sensor haha! Started her up and ran like a champ, so for the 1 dollar i spent on a new vac hose i would say turned out to be a good day!

:cheers:

Back