• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spur of the moment: Rollin's pass, 10-1-11

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've always wanted to run the West side of the pass, from Highway 40. Yesterday, the stars aligned for a quick run...or so I thought.

The entrance isn't marked all that well. I drove past it once.

CoronaPass013a.jpg

Most of the color was at the start, the Aspens made a canopy over the road a couple times.

CoronaPass019a.jpg

There was logging further up, taking the beetle kill.

CoronaPass016a.jpg

Most of the color was done by the time I reached the trestle bridge.

CoronaPass023a.jpg

The tundra above timberline was already dead. I want to go back next summer when the blooms are popping.

CoronaPass046a.jpg

15 miles of dirt road, a stinkin' Subaru can do it.

CoronaPass048a.jpg

Oops! I overshot.

CoronaPass056a.jpg

Sign at the top.

CoronaPass049a.jpg

What is left of the buildings.

CoronaPass050a.jpg

CoronaPass054a.jpg

View from the pass.

CoronaPass051a.jpg

The last mile or so, was over the Boulder Wagon Road.

CoronaPass057a.jpg

I'd hate to get off trail here.

CoronaPass059a.jpg

Maybe half way over, the road started getting rocky, and a little off camber.

CoronaPass062a.jpg

CoronaPass064a.jpg

CoronaPass065a.jpg

The parking area above Yankee Doodle Lake. The views were spectacular!

CoronaPass070a.jpg

CoronaPass071a.jpg

CoronaPass067a.jpg

CoronaPass069a.jpg

Since I didn't make the end of the trail until 5:30, I made hast getting down. Somewhere below the trestle bridge, the fuel pump started howling. I felt that I was losing fuel pressure, so I planned on going to the gas station in Fraser for a look-see. After pulling on to Highway 40, I goosed the gas pedal to see what would happen. The howling stopped, so did the engine.

An hour or so later, the AAA tow truck was scooping me up for the ride home. This year, I'm getting my money's worth from them.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm easily entertained. Next trip, I'll poke around the ghost town for some relics. :)

This trip cost me $150 with the gas. It would have cost more if the tow driver had to come up the dirt road.

First time I've seen a fuel pump fail this way.

ALL_CATCH637a.jpg

Back