• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terra Flex rear Disc Bake conversion kits

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
TeraFlex 4354400 is listed for Big Ford application (?), but shows up when I do a search with my specs of 2001 XJ w/ CC 8.25 axle. Anybody used this kit for the 8.25? It's like $200 cheaper than TMI-4354425!

I'd suggest to do the Liberty or ZJ disk swap out of the junk yard / craigslist. Save you alot of moolah. I believe it can be done for less than $200 even when buying new rotors.

this^

a couple of write ups on the ZJ and i did one for a friend for about 200 ... we used JY parts for core and matched em up at the local parts store

I have moved to the capital city of BFE.
HeadSlapSmiley.gif

I'm thinking the nearest JY that ain't picked clean is in South Dakota or Colorado. Seems like every fourth car on the road here is an XJ. JY parts are not going to be easy to come by!

Can we swap a Wrangler Rubicon rear axle into a Cherokee? I know the spring perches would need swapped, and the junk for the track bar and control arms would have to be cut off, but It's got an air locker, and disc brakes.

G2? What is this "G2" of which you speak?

The big Ford ends are a different bolt pattern than the 8.25. I had to change my backing plates when I swapped the discs from my 8.25 to my 9".

The cheaper teraflex kit is for a larger ford rear. I went thru this same dilemma when i installed my tera disks on my 8.25, unfortunately you can not use the cheaper kit on jeep rear axles.

The cheaper teraflex kit is for a larger ford rear. I went thru this same dilemma when i installed my tera disks on my 8.25, unfortunately you can not use the cheaper kit on jeep rear axles.

Well of course not. My luck never runs that way!

HeadSlapSmiley.gif

I'm thinking the nearest JY that ain't picked clean is in South Dakota or Colorado. Seems like every fourth car on the road here is an XJ. JY parts are not going to be easy to come by!

Any 8.8's in the JY. I'm using Crown Vic. stuff on my 8.25.

JIM.

Just went through this, i bought the "big ford" kit that was listed as my application and they did not bolt up, however teraflex exchanged the brackets for me all i had to do was pay shipping.

just not the big difference is that the big ford kit does not include brake lines, banjo bolts or washers, so be ready to add another 50-bucks plus to the cheaper kit. I bought some rear ford explorer(the passenger side) and they worked for me, finding the banjo bolts was kind of a PITA

BTW they guy at teraflex told me i should really order their parking brake cables as they was not a factory equivalent, which was another 100 bucks....

have to put it back together but so far teraflex has been great and everything has fit great

i used the Teraflex kit. i ordered there kit for the dana 44. the rotors did not fit. had to have the centers machined out. i thought there spacers for the bearings are mickey mouse. the parking brake doesn't hold worth a darn.everyone of my friends have used the ZJ stuff from the wrecking yard and everything worked.

Go the junkyard route over the Tera kit. I've had it on mine for ~3 years. Had to grind down the calipers to fit stock wheels, factory ford calipers fit fine. Had the ebrake shoes essentially come apart (the friction surface and the metal plate left one another). Have had two seized star adjusters, after 2 years the rotors were so corroded I swapped them for factory ford ones instead of cutting them and have had a seized caliper (which was replaced for a ford part). Really unimpressed. Also, I ended up using the factory e-brake cables that I attached a threaded "j-hook" kind of piece on there. works out pretty well.

For the G2 kit, can you adapt the stock e-brake cables or do you need to use the G2 parts? Looks like they are sold seperately.

you can use cable clamps, cut the little spring off the end, wrap the wire around the lever and clamp.

I just picked up explorer stuff for my new to me 44 and spent $180. everything is new except the backing plates and e-brake hardware.

I grew up in Gillette, WY. Yeah there is no good JY in town. However for what you save, its worth a trip to Rapid City. Just do your reasearch a head of time and make sure you get everything you need.

Can you just buy replacement parts for the Liberty 8.25 through Rock Auto or someone?

HeadSlapSmiley.gif

drive into rapid there are about a dozen yards. best cheap one is on deadwood ave. you could have this put together for a lot less using ZJ parts.

Back