• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought an old Pop up tent trailer. Need a harness adapter plug

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
The trailer i purchase is im guessing from the 80's and has the old school 4 pin round plug ( male ). I need something like this to get it to hook up to my jeep

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200139824_200139824

Any of you guys know if i can get this locally instead of having to order it online?

The suck par of all this is that it came with the 4 pin plug that was attached to the trailer hitch I used to have on the XJ but i cut it off and got rid of it when i went with a different rear bumper.

So now im left with the 7 pin that the stock XJ has. Currently have this to convert it to a flat 4 pin plug.

http://www.harborfreight.com/seven-way-rv-blade-to-4-wire-flat-adapter-67620.html

The wires that I cut on the OEM harness are i believe 2 red and 2 yellow. So another option i have is to get the one plug I cut off and rewire it back into the OEM harness.

Suggestions, comments???

You have a few options:

• Rewire the trailer to except the flat 4 pin and run an adapter at your XJ (4 pin flat to 7)
  • Rewire the trailer to except the round seven way plug
  • Make an adapter to go between the fittings you have
  • Find a 4 way round to 7 pin adapter
I personally would rewire the trailer to except the round seven way plug.

You have a few options:

• Rewire the trailer to except the flat 4 pin and run an adapter at your XJ (4 pin flat to 7)
  • Rewire the trailer to except the round seven way plug
  • Make an adapter to go between the fittings you have
  • Find a 4 way round to 7 pin adapter
I personally would rewire the trailer to except the round seven way plug.

The XJ has the 7 pin Port that it came with from the factory. I have an adapter that goes from the 7 to the 4 flat. It also came with that 4 pin round that was removed when i removed the trailer hitch as it was bolted to the trailer hitch. Had i not cut it off i would have had the plug there for my trailer. So, with that said i either need to buy that plug and wire it back up or purchase that adapter that i linked in the 1st paragraph.

I would convert it to the 7 plug so someone else could easily tow it home for you should you have an XJ issue.

i have a spare 7 - 4 plug.. and might have a flat 4 plug you can wire in.. i'll have to search for it though if i still have it..

I have seen that at U-Haul, Walmart, and Autozone. But U-Haul has an adapter instead of that plug.

I made a mistake. Apprently its not a 4 pin plug on the trailer but a 6 pin. So that makes it more easily found at the store. Im on my way out in a bit to find it. It will have to be a round 6 pin to 7 pin on the jeep.

I would convert it to the 7

I'm with Avery here but because its a better plug and gives you room for additional wiring (brakes are a must for one. Also the center lug is reverse lights by OEM wiring, that's handy sometimes).

I have both. If you dont get this done by Monday I have the adapters you need at my cost i have a Uhaul center in SB :greensmok

Its ok Mike, my issue now is to get the trailer to hitch up to my tall ass jeep. Looks like i need a drop hitch of like 5 feet :p

Put the jeep on smaller tires to get the trailer home lol.

look up part# 755-2086 on napa's website, that's what I have here at the shop. it's $34.

Back