• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 auto XJ cuts out while driving

Cherokee Dad

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ auto and while driving it cuts out, all guages go to zero and a second or two later cuts back on? It also has done this at a stop light, but will restart easy - the CPS was replaced a few months back and a re-maned PCM to get thru inspection?

Will be looking for loose wires etc, but acts like a coil problem, except the 2K is coil over spark so it has me baffelled - any help would be great!

Is it an aftermarket crank sensor or an OEM one from Jeep?

Reason I ask is that there is no shortage of threads of people having issues with some (not all) aftermarket crank sensors.

I'd also be sure that the crank sensor connectors are clean. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner (available anywhere) and spray the connector on the sensor itself and also the connector under the hood near the firewall/#6 injector. Add a small dab of dielectric grease and reconnect.

Any debris in these connectors is a natural resistance point which can create intermittent contact.

Those symptoms were a bad connection at the ignition switch for me. One of the wires had burned insulation and it was shorting.

Engine would cut out, no guages, then a second later everything would come back to life.

It was easy for me to diagnose because I found by chance one day that I could make it happen on cue by bumping the bottom of the steering column with my knee.

Back