• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guess my weight - "empty" unibody

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
How much would a bare unibody weigh?

I'm pulling axles, engine, gearboxes, doors, fenders, hood and whatever else i find useful, leaving just the body and a few misc. parts.

Need to get as light as possible so i can throw it on a small trailer and get it to the scrapyard..

1500lbs? less?

When I chopped one up and took it to the scrapper, it was in the 700# range:
dscn7128.jpg

dscn7123.jpg

dscn7061.jpg

Dang, the green cherokee you cut up had less rust than most I see in Indidana.

I got 1660 lbs for mine

stripped off hood, front doors, rear hatch, all glass except windshield, engine/trans/tcase, axles, interiror (left dash).

I added bent leafs and coils, axle housing, one broken seat, random steel scraps.

004-Copy.jpg

Here is Big Red on her way to the recycler this week. My son got T-boned at 45mph by a Avalanche. He walked away so she did her job.
1002111205.jpg

As some of you may remember it;

dirtyjeep.jpg

Back on topic, the shell of a XJ weighs about #750. This will be my third one to the recycler.

quite a bit, when i scrapped my 96 i kept the rear half sans roof to make into a trailer.
When that proved to be way to much work, we tried to load it into the work truck to go recycling, Nearly tipped over a little tracked Dingo my neighbor had rented from HD, had to get my two fat roommates to hang off the back of the machine as counterbalance, and ratchet strap it into the bed at the same time.

Got about $14 for that piece

Hey guys! Totally only somewhat related, but....

I went to the dark side for a bit here, and started doing a new ground up build, starting with a 1st gen 4runner SFA frame. Was going to stick to a 1st gen runner body, but can't find one in decent condition. Considered 2nd gen but they're ugly, and the amount of work that would go into bobbing it to make it short enough to fit in the PNW trails we see, ends up being pretty massive. So I've been thinking about dumping a stock XJ body on top instead. My XJ is fully plated and braced, but it's just not enough for the abuse I put her through with the V8 and buggy trails. Short term, it's fine, but I'm looking for the longevity I can only get from a frame.

Sounds like most of you figure the XJ body is around 750 stripped. What about with the complete interior? Any good, well educated guesses? I figure if it's roughly the same as the runner body, putting the XJ on the frame is a no brainer. Stock XJ is around 3600, I'm at around 5000. That means around 1000lbs in plating/armor that could be mostly replaced with a 250-300lbs frame. I feel like I should be able to at least break even with an XJ on frame build, at around 5000lbs built. This sound about right?

Back