• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirtbound electric fan wiring

smalltownbird

NAXJA Forum User
I just received my Dirtbound Offroad electric fan and it is awesome! Only problem is that it didn't come with any kind of install instructions. I understand how to mount the fans and shroud, but the wiring is a little beyond me. The package came with two relays with the typical relay wires. It also came with 3 different lengths of green wires and 3 different lengths of red wires. I also got the non-digital thermostat switch with three prongs on the switch. I need to know how to wire this thing up. My current electric fan is very wobbly and my clutch fan is going bad. Could someone please show me a good way to wire this?? I have spent an hour searching the internet for a diagram and all I could come up with is a crude one that doesn't show all the wires for the relays or even pin numbers.

Thanks,
Preston

wiring relays & fuses into a electronics is simple, once u understand electrical circuits... basic relay has 3 pins, it will have the internal circuit labeled on it... generally '85' to ground, '30' FUSED feed from 12V source (battery), '86' from ignition switched source (the switch, in this case is the thermostat switch, fed from a fused circuit that is only powered when ignition is 'on'), & '87' to accessory (fans)

Screen%20shot%202011-09-09%20at%2010.34.06%20AM.png

posted by WebDog... crude, but precisely shows where the wires come from/go to

That was the diagram that I saw before. The relays that came with the fans have 5 pins on them. How much of a difference does that make? Also, the controller has 3 pins. One is power, one is to come on at 180 and the other for 205 I believe. I want two fans on at 205 and one at 180. How would that fit into the wiring?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

On the relays, look closely at the bottom; one pin will be 87, another likely says 87a. If so, the 87a contact is Normally Closed, and you won't use that one.

For what you're asking, in the drawing above, the 180 output would connect to relay 1, and the 205 output would connect to relay 2.

Something like this (yeah, I know I suck at Paint)

DBOfanwiring.png

Last edited:
That's awesome! Thank you. Now one more question. With the fans.connected to the relays and then to the battery the fans will stay on after I shut the jeep off until the temp gets below 180. What would be a good source of power under the hood that is acc? So that they only get power when the jeep is running?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

oops, i meant 4 pins (on the relay) not 3... SPST = single pole single throw, what u have is SPDT = single pole double throw

haha, hubs thats a funky diagram... tho, i'd power the switch (thermoswitch) from an ignition switched circuit feed (like radio, or cigarette/aux 12V plug circuit, or an open slot in the fuse box)... that way the fans will only work with the ignition on, & not at all times

That was the diagram that I saw before. The relays that came with the fans have 5 pins on them. How much of a difference does that make? Also, the controller has 3 pins. One is power, one is to come on at 180 and the other for 205 I believe. I want two fans on at 205 and one at 180. How would that fit into the wiring?

just like hubs stated, only use 4 of the 5 pins... that NC (normaly closed) pin would keep the circuit closed, or energized... now, not 100%, but wouldnt it be possible/beneficial to wire as normal, but accessory to 87a (NC circuit), & then open/close the ground with the thermoswitch??

I tap into the fuse box in the kick panel for key-on power. I use the Bussman piggy-back fuse holders, so I don't have to touch the stock wiring, and everything can be easily removed if I change it later.

i'd power the switch (thermoswitch) from an ignition switched circuit feed (like radio, or cigarette/aux 12V plug circuit, or an open slot in the fuse box)... that way the fans will only work with the ignition on, & not at all times

I didn't see this last night, but yeah, I only power relays via key-on circuits, and I didn't bother to draw that or fuses. Yeah, you could get more creative with the relays, and you could switch the grounds instead of the hot wires, but I was going for "simple", and I always switch the hots, a habit I picked up from the old man.

I didn't see this last night, but yeah, I only power relays via key-on circuits, and I didn't bother to draw that or fuses. Yeah, you could get more creative with the relays, and you could switch the grounds instead of the hot wires, but I was going for "simple", and I always switch the hots, a habit I picked up from the old man.

yea, i normally wire switching hot sides, but i kno switching grounds is done for some circuits... & now that i've thought about more, the thermoswitch is already in the engine compartment, nothing has to be wired to the cabin... my thought process had me thinking the adjuster was in the cabin

That makes sense hubs, a little extra insurance. Could split the difference and run one for the 185's and on for the 205... or just splice in one for each of the fans in the loom. Would cost all of $10 to $15 for the fuses.

Thanks for the additional info!

Anybody install these fans and make the secondaries turn on for the A/C demand?

Could the (now unused) stock electrical fan wiring be somehow used for this?

Last edited:
I see now reason to make them turn on when the ac turns on, if the engine temp creeps up because of the a/c they will turn on anyway

I see now reason to make them turn on when the ac turns on, if the engine temp creeps up because of the a/c they will turn on anyway

Engine temp has nothing to do with the AC condenser, which needs the extra cooling when it is on. As far as I know it is a separate system. One which turns on the aux fan on a timer for a reason.

Anybody got an idea on how to wire this in?

Two leads, one from the original aux fan harness into the relay, the other is the high signal lead from the thermistor/controller into the relay that controls the third fan. Maybe use a rectifier on both leads?

I'm no electrical genius, obviously.

Last edited:
Back