• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Sport 4.0 Stalling / Starting issue

igetcrunkman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ Sport 2 door with the 4.0L High Output I-6 engine and it runs excellent. However, after being run for a long time and then made to sit at an idle for a period of time it starts to sputter and die.. sometimes you can correct this by throttling it and revving it but other times, it just dies. after it does this I cannot start the jeep for 45 minutes or so (seems to be enough time for it to cool off.)

The jeep has had most ignition components & sensors replaced, and I'm currently thinking that the fuel pump/sending unit are going bad. I've talked to a few people including the previous owner and they all seem to think that I have the right idea.

If any of you could provide some helpful input, I would greatly appreciate it as I really enjoy owning my Jeep and I want to make it reliable again.

Thanks.

Back