• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new guy lift question

89xjtankrunner

NAXJA Forum User
hi.gif
yes, its time for the new guy who knows too much about too little to ask questions that make no sence. lol

i am getting my 1989 XJ back soon. i want to put a 4.5" lift on it

this 4.5" lift...
Rustys Offroad: XJ Cherokee 4.5" Spring Pack Kit

this kit comes with:
• Front 4.5" coil springs
• Rear 4.5" leaf springs *(im opting for the 3" leaf and 1.5" shackle)
• Fixed front lower control arms
• Front hydro preformance shocks
• Rear hydro prformance shocks
• Adjustable trac bar
• Front Sway Bar Drop Kit
• Transfer case drop kit
• Brake line extension kit
• Grade 8 U-Bolts
• 6 degree shims
**** i might opt for the kit that comes with wheel&tire not sure yet***

what will i need to finish it? what do i need to be reliable / dependable / safe?
smiley_shrug.gif

if i were u i would build my own kit search search search the forum for what people are running and ull need a sye kit and drive shafts which will run u about 700 bucks

if i were u i would build my own kit search search search the forum for what people are running and ull need a sye kit and drive shafts which will run u about 700 bucks

700?

He just needs an sye and rear shaft.. if he runs a stock shaft in the rear he can have a sye and ds for 200 bucks

Only speaking from experiance but on an older xj you don't need an SYE. (I know board members who have run 8" of lift without an SYE... I wouldn't reccomend it but he naver had issues) I've run 3 1990 xjs on 2" 3" 4.5" 6.5" (changed lift after 2 years). At 4.5 and 6.5 you need to find a longer driveshaft but I have had no vibes on any. My roomates 1995 had 4.5 in the back with no vibes or SYE. Yes in a perfect world you SHOULD have one but on 95 and down with the old slip yoke style you really just need to make sure there is enough of the yoke gripping. This is with a mix of autos and standards. IMO if you lift it to 4.5 just find a rear axle 8.25 (91+ non ABS I believe) and use your driveshaft that matches the dana 35. The 8.25 has a longer yoke so it makes up that little bit of differance. As far as the rest of the lift I agree you should run 3" leafs and get the rest of the lift either in shackles or UBEs. I do think you can get more bang for your buck to piece it together but to each his own. It would have been nice if I got everything in one box too lol.

Last edited:
True i ran 4.5 for quite sometime without an sye, no problems, this is due to the different output on the tcase below 97

If you do take his advice and through a 8.25 oin make sure you get one from above 97, they are 29 spline carriers and shafts as opposed to the 27 spline in earlier 8.25's

Also after looking at the list of what is included get some form of steering upgrade. The stock Tie rod is incredibly weak. The drag link can take a bit of a beating but I bent a stock tie rod on stock tires. A V8 ZJ tierod works well.

Back