• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj e fan wiring issue...

xj dreamin

NAXJA Forum User
so here's my story. when i bought the jeep the e fan was disconnected and i thought, oh easy fix, i'll just plug it back in. I did that and it didn't work. What i ended up doing was connecting the e fan directly to the battery using a switch. That works great and all but i hate having to switch the fan everytime i need it. today i went out and turned on the jeep and checked for power at the connector and nothing, this was with the ac turned on. checked the fan fuse and relay at the fuse box and they both checked out fine. here's a list of things that the jeep doesn't have or have connected. It doesn't have a ac compressor, the p/o took it out because it seized on him so he bought a bypass pulley for it. the big connector under the dash that activates the door ajar noise is disconnected too but i don't know if that has to do anything with it. i've been having problems with my gauge because temp at the water neck show way cooler than the gauge itself so i cant even check for power at the connector when it reaches 218 because i don't know which is accurate. any input is appreciated. thanks

With the stock fan connection plugged and the engine on, what happens when you disconnect the coolant temp sensor at the t-stat housing?

ok. i just tried that right now but since my fan no longer has the connector(snipped it off to wire directly) i checked for power as soon as i unplugged the connector at the temp switch and i got power! yes! that means that the fan should work if i were to hit 218, right? .... Now my only question is why won't the connector get power when i have the ac on? is it because it doesn't have a compressor? does the temp switch also control the fan when the ac is on? thanks

So now you have to find the wire that got disco'd when the compressor was removed, but at least you know you have a working fan circuit when the temp hits that 218*. Thankfully the Jeep engineers were smart in that in the absence of the cts signal, it assumes a hot condition(worst case scenario) and keeps the fan on. With no compressor to add heat to the underhood, I wouldn't worry about it since you know the stock wiring is fine.

Last edited:
Back