• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire rack that works with stock bumper?

jeeptorino68

NAXJA Forum User
i am wondering if there are any tire rack kits that work with the stock bumper? i know there are factory kits, but i was thinking of something that doesnt mount or latch to the body, but would latch/mount to some kind of subframe behind the bumper?

i have the C4x4 tire carrier bolted to 3x5 boxed tube. the guy i got it from had stock end caps on it for appearence.

http://custom4x4fabrication.com/rear_xj.html

not quite as high as id like, but it does the job. and i got a great price on it.
230829_172975449423546_100001332774399_359839_8361326_n.jpg

the jeep it came off of is in the forground. sorry, i dont have any better pics.
41327_112783812109377_100001332774399_80908_2721852_n.jpg

He halted production on the tail bone last month.

Wow glad I picked up a Tailbone last spring. I e-mailed Mark at Detours several times and he seemed like one helluva a nice person. His workmanship and attention to detail certainly showed in the Tailbone I received. If he starts making these again its worth the wait and the money to get one.

though it looks simple enough to make also, so i could copy that and hang my 30" spare

by the way thanks for the pics,

and i didnt even know the c4x4 kit existed

Last edited:
i have the C4x4 tire carrier bolted to 3x5 boxed tube. the guy i got it from had stock end caps on it for appearence.

http://custom4x4fabrication.com/rear_xj.html

not quite as high as id like, but it does the job. and i got a great price on it.
230829_172975449423546_100001332774399_359839_8361326_n.jpg

the jeep it came off of is in the forground. sorry, i dont have any better pics.
41327_112783812109377_100001332774399_80908_2721852_n.jpg

what is the username of the guy who owns the red jeep with tube doors? i believe he made a right up for a rocker replacement he did on his jeep but i cant seem to find it again!

Son of a bee sting.... I wanted the tail bone. Guess I'll get the other one posted and modify so it sits higher unless Action makes one similar in style with a great price tag...

Unless Action makes one similar in style with a great price tag...

Not at this time. I do have it on paper for a future product though. :D

ORS is young and still growing. I am in the middle of buying a 5x10 plasma table for the shop. This will alow me to do all my cutting in house with a much higher production rate. I am holding off on bringing any new products to market till I am comfortable with my table and its opperation. With my current production rate, I am not prepaired for the added work load a new product would bring me. I have roughly 40 new products on the list. And at this time I am still a one man show. So once the table is up and running I will be more prepaired to handle the influx of added orders. I want to keep shipping times short... If I added another product at this time I don't feel I could keep up like I want to. Right now I am one day out on shipping... meaning if you order today it goes out tomorrow... I never want to be the vendor who is known for taking a week to ship an order. For my customers sake's any way.

Within the next month or two my production ability will be up enough that I can bring a few of the great products I have in the works to the market. So keep an eye out.

-Chris.

It is designed to only work with their bumper. I does not bolt to the frame... this is not an issue with their HD thicker metal bumpers. But bolting it to the stock bumper is not a good idea.

Not to speek for another company. Just how I see the product.

I have the complete c4x4 setup. No, you can't bolt it to the stock bumper.

There's so much leverage with the swing out, it'd rip the bumper off no problem.

An example of the strength you need-

When I first got my setup on, it wasn't tied in well enough, so the bumper would wobble, and it started to crack the crossmember.

I engineered better tie in's/ hitch connectors. All is well now. 21 bolts holding the system on, all strength needed to hold a 32 inch tire on the back. No more wobble.
55aac3d5.jpg

694099a6.jpg

2c797641.jpg

da373e09.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. Looking at their website from my phone and how small their pics are anyways, it was hard to tell if it was a stock bumper or aftermarket one. I thought the swing out was the same system as Detour's... makes sense now =)

Back