• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dave's B-day run!!

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
dc032548.jpg

f403f3bd.jpg

d8efd4e2.jpg

8facf06c.jpg

b2383ff8.jpg

1418ad68.jpg

8c64436f.jpg

It's not 6am on Sunday. Had a blast!!!

dc032548.jpg

f403f3bd.jpg

d8efd4e2.jpg

8facf06c.jpg

b2383ff8.jpg

1418ad68.jpg

8c64436f.jpg

It's not 6am on Sunday. Had a blast!!!

thanks to everyone for all the help and support with my repairs and recovery/extraction. I can't begin to thank you enough. I will be eternaly grateful.

So the rundown.. after passing the filter for crushers the group spotted my powersteering fluid leaking. From the pitman seal so I baked out and parked it. Then when aproching saddle up I noticed the steering was dead unless I held the idle at 1-2k rpms. So I ran up the trail and continued to airplain hill. Made it through the filter no problem and made it up the hill with relitive ease. But when I got to the very top I was having dificulties bumping over a rock. 1 2 3 4 bumps 1 more time for good measure and clack rear driveline broke. I disconnected the shaft had a hell of a guy pull cable and I winched over it then while trying to winch and claw my way up the trail I topped out my line and hooked tow strap to Jeremy and had him pull me a little more. Cuchunk cuchunk blap blap blap. Drivers axle broke, front driveline broke. But we still tried pulling me up the trail. Until someone noticed that my drivers side ball joints had broken in two.
That's my carnage story. Someone else ccan finish it I'm going to bed

6b3e4b8e-2e39-f95a.jpg

6b3e4b8e-2e55-8c9d.jpg

teeth.jpg

spiders.jpg

I got lucky that it was just my spider gears.
I had a blast tho. Then again so did the dana 35 :laugh: I will say that the drive down the hill to the Shell station was kinda nerve racking. It was click click click click SNAP. Then it was quiet for a second and click click click click SNAP. :shocked:
I am not sure what I did to my steering yet I'll tear into that when IT gets light out.

I really had a good time yesterday. My little 4 banger will be back on the road hopefully Tuesday so I can get up there again soon.

Thanx for having me and Happy carnage I mean birthday Dave..

a bushwacker is falling off

my fairlead needs a C-clip

my locker is confirmed Scrap metal

and i owe Bronzewyrm a set of Rear quarter panel guards..

BUT I DROVE HOME! after crushers AND airplane hill.. (I'm making progress!)

it was a good time all and all for us. the whole family enjoyed camping/riding the area. we are home in one peice. and were already thinking about the next time.

got there thurs night thinking we would be cool. YA RIGHT. both loops were already full. and there were only three sites open on the back side beond the events area. we swooped them up.

dave found us late in the evening friday shortly after out family rolled in. we were itching to hit the trails so we headed out shortly after.

we were headed twards powerline. but my navagator ended us up at FB5. woot woot. the rock of doom jumped up and bit me. hard.

0923112009a.jpg

0924110828.jpg

tire was ok:thumbup: but the wheel took a hit. the next morning befor the day tripers got there i decided to see what i could do with the bent bead. a little love from the Axe, and i managed to get it reseaded:smoker:. I Can go wheeling agin!!!

pulled out of camp to lineup and herd a haydghasgastop!!!!!!!!crunch.....
me and scott had a date.:bawl:
0924111046.jpg

0924111046a.jpg

after licking my wounds i figured. SCREW it. lets wheel!! off to fb5 agin we went. made it to crushers. which we verry buissy. hung and watched sevral very well built rigs WALK throo it.
0924111300.jpg

we headded back to camp and split from the group after that. nic showed up later to let us know that aaron had blown both driveshafts,both driver side ball joints, driver side axle shafts and had a seriously tweeked track bar.:scared:
Airplane hill is no joke:twak:.

After we ate a feiw of us loaded up some hot chicken and taters and headded out to find the cold, hungry, possably angry posse stuck apon the hill.

we found them!:clap:

wait...
0924112138a.jpg

not good. we hung round to see if there was anything else that could be done and decided to lead rob out to browns. we went up top to try to find a "bypass" into the top of the trail but were unable. rob had to retreive his toolbox. before i could talk him out of it, rob headded into the filter!:wow: Fully connected and aired up. i spoted him in/out and low and behold he made it look relativly easy on 33" and 1 TAD. Props man.:cheers:

got back to camp. crahed abut 1am. herd what i think was scott shortly after. i couldent get hoped up befor they bounced out. Dave was up standing at the fire, smileing as usual, in the morning. it was a good finishing tale.

thx to all that came out. we had a blast. my unibody is thrashed now. qutar pannel on the RT side it toast and i need new wheels. id say she got a flogging.

Bronze.

TORX is speechless...

It was a good time. I blew up the axle in the filter to Airplane hill. Scott winched me out backwards and I headed around to the top to pull my rear drive line. I stopped at the wrong trail marker and by the time I had aired up and got ready to roll they were nowhere to be found. :wierd:

I was relieved to see Dave and Rob roll into the Shell station while I was waiting on my tow truck.
On Facebook there seems to be quite the story that is not on here tho..

It was a fun trip! I did a lot of spotting! I ran upper crushers on foot like 5 times, and airplane hill way to much.

As far as the epic trail fix, it was as fun as something like that could be! Till the dragging a powerless Cherokee up the rest Of the trail. You could tell everyone was on there last nerve.

I have a good amount of pics, I'll try and post them all tonight!

MR.NOTsoAWESOME for the day.
edab3ef5.jpg

91cbb1e2.jpg

This was when the rear drive line broke the yoke bolts off.
10 feet before all the bad happend.

After this trip, EVERONE should do balljoints!!! And U-bolt U-joint strap kit!

U-boilt strap kit and ball joints just went to the TOP of my list!

Thank you orangeJeep nick and your willing to help at 1 am!!!!! And Jeramy for your trailer and truck!!!

Last edited:

U-boilt strap kit and ball joints just went to the TOP of my list!

Thank you orangeJeep nick and your willing to help at 1 am!!!!! And Jeramy for your trailer and truck!!!
x2.. the U-bolt kits are what i run..

I sincerely think we should of pulled a train for more traction.. It really works amazingly!

And hell yeah.. Huge thanks to Orange jeep nick:woohoo:

Got back to camp. crashed about 1am. Herd what i think was Scott shortly after. i couldn't get hopped up before they bounced out. Dave was up standing at the fire, smileing as usual, in the morning. Tt was a good finishing tale.

thx to all that came out. we had a blast. my unibody is thrashed now. qutar pannel on the RT side it toast and i need new wheels. id say she got a flogging.

Bronze.
I left went down highway 6. Past Banks when I called my wife, found that she was with Scotts wife and Orange Jeep Nick with Scotts Trailer. Turned around at North Plains. Meet them back at Banks. They followed me into Browns Camp were they stopped in the in the day use area. I went to the camp and you guys looked all in bed so I left. Tried to lead them up to airplane hill but all I could find were a bunch of lost people trying to find a rave. Went back to camp again. Still no movement and then decided to wait in the day use area.

The ball joints didn't break because they were worn. They broke from the shaft ears binding while driving on a broken joint (look at the pics, and how polished the ears/hub bolts are from driving on them). That's why when you toss a u-joint, it's always best to fix it where it sits rather limp it off the trail, and risk walking the ball joints out.

The ball joints didn't break because they were worn. They broke from the shaft ears binding while driving on a broken joint (look at the pics, and how polished the ears/hub bolts are from driving on them). That's why when you toss a u-joint, it's always best to fix it where it sits rather limp it off the trail, and risk walking the ball joints out.

The axle driveshaft joint uppers trac bar and ball joint all went within a few seconds of each other. 1234 one after the other.

Sent from my mind cause I'm so Awesome.

I had a blast. Thanks to everyone who showed. It was F'in great. This was one time where I spent WAAAAAAY more time on the trail then sleeping and in camp. It wasn't the first time I have spent a late night on Airplane hill.. but it was the most fun. Where are all the GOOD wheeling pics. We spent a lot of time running Crushers, FB5, Saddle up and airplane hill. Lots of good times. Despite all the people, we never ran in to any bad traffic jams.. just the usual.. couple people here and there.

When AwesomeXJ decides to break.. he does it most Awesomely

It was the best trail fix ever.. we had food, light.. made a camp fire.. it was great.

Everyone was awesome for keeping the cool. Just like the marines.. no one left anyone behind.. we got everyone off the trail and home.

For the record.. My Jeep drives better.. after this weekend. hmmm go figure..:clap:

Nick is a Rockstar for keeping the show going.. Great spotting, and keeping his cool...

Jeremy and Rob were huge helps also, way to go team!

John and Tessa (sorry if I spelled that wrong) Great meeting your family, I am glad they enjoyed Browns. Thanks for saving the spot.

Last edited:

True! But look at the lower ball joint. It hasn't been greased since you were born. The way I see it is. The ball joint was so worn that it caused the universal joint to work outside of it's non-greased life's limit. So in affect they were both shot to begin with.

I see this awesome trail repair is from a lack of regular maintenance.

Dave

I'll be next! You will see.

Sent from my butt since that's what I talk out of most the time!

TORX's Hypothesis:

Preliminary reading: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1056175
Drivers axle broke, front driveline broke. But we still tried pulling me up the trail.
Based off this, I assumed the broken shaft had been driven (distance is irrelevant).
The axle driveshaft joint uppers trac bar and ball joint all went within a few seconds of each other. 1234 one after the other.
1. Axle shaft likely went from clawing up the trail in front wheel drive. D30's aren't a fan of that.

2. After the joint let loose, the ears started to walk the ball joints out from binding. The inner shaft still was trying to power the wheel, but since the joint wasn't in tact it was binding with the outer stub. If they were worn, it certainly could have provided some extra give, but I don't think it was the main reason.

3. Ball joints say peace out, and the knuckle parts ways with the vehicle.

4. I'm guessing the axle hit the ground pretty hard, or at least had the weight of the Jeep on it.

5. That then buckled the upper control arm, which probably tweaked the track bar as well.

6. With the pinion angle now jacked up, the front drive line said peace out as well.

:dunno:

Last edited:
Sucks I missed it I will make it out sometime soon, I am supposed to get it back tommorow hopefully all is well and the new shift kit is awesome.

TORX's Hypothesis:

Preliminary reading: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1056175

Based off this, I assumed the broken shaft had been driven (distance is irrelevant).

1. Axle shaft likely went from clawing up the trail in front wheel drive. D30's aren't a fan of that.

2. After the joint let loose, the ears started to walk the ball joints out from binding. The inner shaft still was trying to power the wheel, but since the joint wasn't in tact it was binding with the outer stub. If they were worn, it certainly could have provided some extra give, but I don't think it was the main reason.

3. Ball joints says peace out, and the knuckle/tire falls off.

4. I'm guessing the axle hit the ground pretty hard, or at least had the weight of the Jeep on it, which buckled the UCA, and tweaked the track bar.

5. That then buckled the upper control arm, which probably tweaked the track bar as well.

6. With the pinion angle now jacked up, the front drive line said peace out as well.

:dunno:
precisely :pig:

Back