• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to store a rad?

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled the water pump and hoses that I needed from my parts jeep and realized the Rad looks practically new. I drained the coolant to get the parts I needed (today at least) and want to know what's the best way to keep this thing in good shape until I need it.

Should I plug the holes and fill it back up with coolant? Should I pull it, dry it out, and put it on a shelf? Maybe throw it in a jar of formaldehyde and put it next to Walt Disney's head? What's the best choice?

I just pulled the water pump and hoses that I needed from my parts jeep and realized the Rad looks practically new. I drained the coolant to get the parts I needed (today at least) and want to know what's the best way to keep this thing in good shape until I need it.

Should I plug the holes and fill it back up with coolant? Should I pull it, dry it out, and put it on a shelf? Maybe throw it in a jar of formaldehyde and put it next to Walt Disney's head? What's the best choice?

Pull it, dry it out, and stick it on a shelf.

I'd throw a cotton light rope/heavy string or two in along the tank, and stand it on end. The cotton would act as a wick to get the last of whatever water is in the core out, and having it stand on end will let the thing drain. I've stored radiators that way for years a few times, and haven't had any trouble with that method.

Not sure what conditions are like up there, and what conditions yours has seen, but I'd make sure that it's washed of road salt and well dried out, and might even give it a light spray of something like WD-40 on the outside. If the fins corrode off, it's done for.

Back