• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Residual valve

NorStar

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the residual valve located, in MC or Proportioning valve?

It's a '99, 4.0. Thanks!

Last edited:
PRESSURE DIFFERENTIAL VALVE​
The pressure differential switch is connected to the
brake warning light. The switch is actuated by movement
of the switch valve. The switch monitors fluid
pressure in the separate front/rear brake hydraulic
circuits.
A decrease or loss of fluid pressure in either
hydraulic circuit will cause the switch valve to shuttle
to the low pressure side. Movement of the valve
pushes the switch plunger upward. This action closes
the switch internal contacts completing the electrical
circuit to the red warning light. The switch valve will
remain in an actuated position until repairs to the
brake system are made.​
PROPORTIONING VALVE​
The proportioning valve is used to balance frontrear
brake action at high decelerations. The valve
allows normal fluid flow during moderate braking.
The valve only controls fluid flow during high decelerations
brake stops.​

As far as I know, the XJ do not have a 'residual valve'. A residual vales is a check valve or one way valve. Two types are made, one for drum breaks and another for disc breaks. They are primarily used in vehicles where the master cyliner is below the wheel cylinder to prevent break fluid from going back into the master cylinder resulting in a low pedal on the next break application.

The combination valve in the XJ's do not have a residual, check or one way valve incoorporated in them.

When I used to mess with FJ40 LandCruisers, there's was in the master cylinder port and was easily removed with a amall pick. With the rear disc brake kit I got, was supplied an inline residual valve since drum brakes use about 10 pounds residual pressure versus 2 pounds for discs.

Now I'm curious about this since I just added rear discs to my wife's 88 and didn't even think about this til now.

The XJ has a "hold-off" valve built into the proportioning valve. It's there to allow the rear drum brakes to engage slightly ahead of the disc fronts. The valve "holds-off" applying pressure to the fronts until ~100psi is sensed. It is not a check-valve.

Back