• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on rear leafs wanted.

UnKn0wn

NAXJA Forum User
OK so i have a 99 Xj with a Rough Country 3 inch kit with the AALs...

My rears have failed after 3 yrs and im looking for replacement Leafs
What would you Guys suggest?.

Id rather buy now then rebuild what i have.

Thanks
JMOliver..

Actually i do wanna drop the coin, I have learned from previous cheapness plus this.

Thanks alot for the replys, keep them coming

Well, then now is the time to decide how big you want to go on your lift. If you're going to spend the money on a good set of leaves, then do it once.

Companies like Deaver will custom build you springs to your application. You tell them what it's going on, how much lift you want, how big of a shackle you have, how much weight you carry (spare, bumper, tools, etc) and what you want to us it for. They'll build you a set of leaves that will knock your socks off. Now, Deavers use a thinner leaf, but a thick pack. Instead of 3 or 4 thick leaves, they use 8 or 9 thinner leaves. This gives you a nice smooth progressive spring rate. There is a downside to this however, and that's that after time, they need to be "rebuilt". What this means is every year to few years (depending on driving style and habits) you need to take them off, send them back in (preferably to Deaver, but any good spring shop will do) and have them checked, restretched, and re-arched. You SHOULD do this with most leaves, but you can go longer on a thicker leaf without doing that. That being said, I know several people who have SEVERAL years on their Deavers with no rebuild that seems to be working fine for them.

Another option is Alcan. I'm pretty sure Big Offroad uses Alcan springs, give them a call. I'll recommend Alcan's to most people who want trouble free leaves, they use a thicker leaf, but not as thick as some of the big names. They usually built a 5 or 6 leaf pack, which allows for the best of both worlds. BDS also has a great leaf like Alcans, in the middle, with no compromise. I'm personally not a fan of run of the mill off the shelf springs, but that's just me. I think a lot of people overlook how much their leaves can deliver for them when they're tuned properly. Though it may not matter as much for crawling as it does for what I do, it's still a good thing to look into.

Jim knows what he is talking about.
A lower-priced good quality spring is OME.

BDS makes great leafs!

Also, check and see if Big Offroad sells anything in your size, they have GREAT leafs, their manufacturer is among the best. Obviously there's deaver if you can afford them, but I'm assuming if you were running an AAL before, you don't want to drop that much coin.

BDS also has a good warrenty from what I hear..

Back