• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front dana 60 swap.

frankensteinxj

NAXJA Forum User
Im doing a 60 swap soon, so as of now Im trying to compile parts.
I was goin to use the t&t truss but it says 78-79 d60s only.
The axles I got are out of a late 80s f350.
I like the tnt truss because it has stock uca mounts on it simplifying the process.
Anybody seen one modified to fit later model 60s or can recommend a similar truss.
Thanks in advance.

x2 on what ross said... my buddy bought a tnt truss for ease of install on bis 60 and ended up chopping it to pieces to get it to work. build your own or spend the money over at arctec... their stuff is way nicer.

What do you need a truss for? Your XJ will fold way before the D60 bends that is a 3.125 OD 1/2" wall tube. meant to hold probably 3X the load of your XJ.

Even some KOH guys don't run trusses. if you had a 1/4" axle then I might truss it.

Just my opinion I know a lot of people go over kill.

On another note are you running full width or shortening the axle also I would like to see your short side mounts when you get that far. I know it is tight over there.

I didn't shorten my D60 or truss it (though I guess you could count the ram mount as a truss). I don't think it's that wide but I don't drive mine on the street.

40x13.5 on H2s (17" with 5.5" BS)

IMG_2619.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

Short side mounts:

One side of the LCA mount is welded to cast.

IMAG0481.jpg

IMAG0484.jpg

Last edited:
Im torn between building my own and chancing the tnt.
The only thing is, that Im going to run rough country long arms for the time being to get it rolling so I can wheel it until I build my 3 link.
So the tnt simplifies the process a lot by have the stock mounting arms.
I wouldnt even truss it if it werent for having to mount the upper control arm to the cast pumpkin.
Maybe Ill just build my own truss and mount do the math for the bracket myself.
Guess im just trying to be a lazy f**k. :dunno:

What do you need a truss for? Your XJ will fold way before the D60 bends that is a 3.125 OD 1/2" wall tube. meant to hold probably 3X the load of your XJ.

Even some KOH guys don't run trusses. if you had a 1/4" axle then I might truss it.

Just my opinion I know a lot of people go over kill.

On another note are you running full width or shortening the axle also I would like to see your short side mounts when you get that far. I know it is tight over there.

Ill be keeping them full width

Heres my dumb 60.

I started with a late 80's axle too. I narrowed the long side ~4.5" and built an overkill truss outta some 3x6x5/16 rect tubing notched to fit the axle and for coil buckets too. Theres a bunch of other unessecary stuff added to it for coolness and hopefully wont break :gee:

2qwo4mq.jpg

v44e9i.jpg

17x1z7.jpg

xcj5o4.jpg

x2 on what ross said... my buddy bought a tnt truss for ease of install on bis 60 and ended up chopping it to pieces to get it to work.
Funny, while I hate to admit it I did this too. Total was of my money and time. :tear: One of the 1st and only parts of my build that I purchased something rather than built it myself and it was a bad idea.

If you really want/need a truss, build your own. Forget factory style rubber UCA mounts, they'll be toast very quickly with the added weight of the D60 if you wheel it at all.

Last edited:
for what it's worth. i ran a chevy D60 on my 1ton burban and I beat the hell out of it with NO truss. them axles are beefy as all hell. a D30 axle is a tooth pick compared to a D60.

Looks good Ross.
Im not looking at a truss for the added strength. Im looking for one to mount my upper control arm to so I dont have to weld the the cast housing.
I may just build a small truss snugly over the housing to mount the arm to.
I was worried about clearance with the monster tnt truss anyways.
Any ideas to mount the upper radius arm without using the stock bushing.
And for what its worth this thing may not see any street time at all, I havent made up my mind yet.
Thanks for all the input so far guys.

just build a 3 link dont waste your time with the rc radius arm setup, heres some shots of my mounts

taning_017.jpg

60_s_024.jpg

0032.JPG

frt60_003.jpg

frt60_004.jpg

00320.JPG

for coil buckets i used some steel plate welded directly on top of the stock leaf pearches and the welded a D30 hub in the middle to keep the coil in place

What is being used for coil buckets? The pictures above show 2 different types. Are these purchased or fabricated?

Both mine and Colin's (MoparManiac) have the same coil buckets, they're from Clayton Offroad. When I called I was able to order just the bucket piece itself since I already had the mounts made (it also saved money over the kit price). IMHO their coil bucket is the best one out there. Its the only one Ive seen on the market that is made to fit the bottom wrap of the coil, others are just a flat bottom. Although many people dont have problems with it, the coils arent meant to sit on a flat surface.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_71/products_id/89

Both mine and Colin's (MoparManiac) have the same coil buckets, they're from Clayton Offroad. When I called I was able to order just the bucket piece itself since I already had the mounts made (it also saved money over the kit price). IMHO their coil bucket is the best one out there. Its the only one Ive seen on the market that is made to fit the bottom wrap of the coil, others are just a flat bottom. Although many people dont have problems with it, the coils arent meant to sit on a flat surface.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/18_71/products_id/89

And ford 60's aren't meant to be under a cherokee

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I might throw the radius arms on craigslist and build a 3 link, now that you all got me thinking about it.
Or I may run the lower junk country arms and make a custom upper link for now to get it rolling and wheelin a little bit.
I know that sounds extremely idiotic but, I may do it temporarily.
(The club is going out on some trail rides that I dont wanna miss out on.)

Not to hijack but how are your jeeps holding up to the weight of those monster's? I imagine that the axle would tear the Cherokee apart.

Back