• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a second opinion---water pump?

JSwamper

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep started to overheat, so I towed it home... first thing I did was replace my thermostat.

I tried to flush the rad but when I started the jeep, the belt was slipping off. I noticed that it was coming off at the water pump pulley, then slipping off the power steering pulley. I also tried tightning the belt and I can still hear a howling noise and again the belt tried slipping off.

My question is do you think do water pump is done? maybe the bearing on it is started to vibrate?

Take the serpentine belt off and spin the water pump by hand. The shaft should turn smoothly and be tight, without play.
While the belt is off, check the power steering pump, the idlers, fan, alternator and A/C compressor for the same.

While you'er at it, also check your harmonic balancer... it to could have coincidently given up the ghost as well. A bad harmonic balancer can also cause your belt to slip off.....

While you'er at it, also check your harmonic balancer... it to could have coincidently given up the ghost as well. A bad harmonic balancer can also cause your belt to slip off.....

Correct, although a failure of the HD is usually visually obvious - either the hub and ring are not flush at the front, or the rubber vibration ring between them has started to squidge out from between them (technical term would be closer to "extrude") - and material that is not in between the two components is not being useful, and typically allowing an excess of movement.

If the HD is starting to fail, the outer inertia ring typically ends up walking backwards sooner or later - and starts to chew its way through the aluminum timing chain cover. Catch it quickly!

I will check all other pulleys as well as the harmonic balancer. My jeep ran fine before it almost overheated(I caught it before it did). and I know its not my fans because i have aftermarket elec. on a toggle switch and they work fine.

squidge (technical term would be "extrude") - !

I understood "squidge" better.

...and I know its not my fans because i have aftermarket elec. on a toggle switch and they work fine.

It COULD be your fans. I wouldn't be so quick to exclude that. What's the CFM on the fans? Under what conditions was it over heating??

Highway speed, in traffic, up a grade, towing, loaded?? Was the belt slipping, or did it come off altogether?

it was overheating(rapidly) on highway..i have 3 FF Dynamic fans mounted on my rad. im not sure what the CFM is but I know they work great...

UPDATE: I took off the belt to check the pulleys... the only one that had play in it was the water pump pulley... does a new water pump come with the pulley?

No..you have to swap the pulley.Its usually the pump shaft that caused the belt to jump.A new water pumps like 20 bucks...I'd just replace it.

All the water pump failures I've had have been without leakage, but with noise and rattling, so I'd definitely test the pump with the belt off. Once the bearing goes, the back of the impeller rubs against the pump housing and this prevents it from wobbling too much for quite a while, but it is noisy and of course it goofs up the cooling as clearances increase.

All the water pump failures I've had have been without leakage, but with noise and rattling, so I'd definitely test the pump with the belt off. Once the bearing goes, the back of the impeller rubs against the pump housing and this prevents it from wobbling too much for quite a while, but it is noisy and of course it goofs up the cooling as clearances increase.

thats exactly what happened. New pump now its MINT .,Thanks for the input

Back