• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimmed rear fenders above the welds ! Now what??

1990Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I have a 1990 cherokee xj pioneer. I trimmed the front fenders awhile back , they turned out great. I finally got around to trimming the rear fenders. I cut above the pinch welds. I now have separated the two pieces , not by much. How should I fill in the gaps? It looks great, I just need to seal it up somehow. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

if your not worried about it being perfect you can spray foam from the inside then trim and paint it from the outside. it looks ok and seals it up, seen many do it.

Spray foam collects moisture so fair warning there. Moisture = rust. But time to break out the welder.

Im not worried about it being perfect. It looks pretty good, as good as it can after using the ol angle grinder. Spray foam huh? Good idea. The gap is very small, less than an 1/8 of an inch. I just want to keep out water, mud,rocks etc...I didn't paint the front edge of the front fenders after I trimmed them, I put black automobile door trim around the bottom of the fender where I made the cut. Should I paint the edges where I made the cut?? I will try and fill the rear in with foam to keep out the elements, also I will try to line the outer fender edge with the black door trim, that stuff works and looks great! Thanks again!

Im not worried about it being perfect. It looks pretty good, as good as it can after using the ol angle grinder. Spray foam huh? Good idea. The gap is very small, less than an 1/8 of an inch. I just want to keep out water, mud,rocks etc...I didn't paint the front edge of the front fenders after I trimmed them, I put black automobile door trim around the bottom of the fender where I made the cut. Should I paint the edges where I made the cut?? I will try and fill the rear in with foam to keep out the elements, also I will try to line the outer fender edge with the black door trim, that stuff works and looks great! Thanks again!

No, as magimerlin said, spray foam is not a good idea. It will collect moisture and it will cause the metal to start rusting faster.

A number of years ago my buddy's father filled in a few spots of his truck with that stuff, and they rusted out to absolutely nothing.

The correct way to close it up would be to weld it. If you can't do that, maybe fixture it so that the two pieces can't move relative to each other (maybe a small bracket with rivets or screws) and then use a metal seam sealer.

unibodies flex, especially when wheeled. any kind of goober ghetto sealer foam will eventually crack apart.

if its only 1/8" of an inch i would find someone to weld it shut. maybe only a stitch weld every few inches then use some autobody sealant

You need to attach the parts securely as this is a major structural part of the rear section of the unibody. The best repair would be to weld the pieces together. You could also put a doubler on the inside and rivet it with lots of rivets but that would be alot of work. There are some industrial adhiesives that would hold it together about as strong as a weld. If you choose that route both sides of the joint must be absoloutely clean for the adhiesive to bond. You could do some kind of tube style fender setup and weld the sheetmetal to it. That would be sweet!

Spray foam collects moisture so fair warning there. Moisture = rust. But time to break out the welder.

I've had 'Great Stuff' in my front fenders for years, no rust at all.

Still, this is no place for foam. A trick some people use is to fill the gap with a piece of round bar shaped with the wheelwell. Stitch weld the bar to the fender, then fill the inside with auto seam sealer.

Ya I was in the same boat you are. So I pre-drilled holes for rivets and then sprayed abunch of foam in there then but all rivets in. Looks clean standing 4 feet away, but do what I do. If anyone wants look that closely to ur rig smash there face into it. HAHAHA.

Also dosent make it exactly water tight nor dust tight. I live on a mile long dirt road and the entire inside gets so dusty I can't even breath. So next winter I'll be taking off the rear side panels inside and buttoning it all up correctly, just not sure exactly what correctly is tho. So good luck.

Thanks

I used JB weld to fill the couple spots I went too far on...pretty sure it's still there after two years.

A trick some people use is to fill the gap with a piece of round bar shaped with the wheelwell. Stitch weld the bar to the fender, then fill the inside with auto seam sealer.

I'll +1 to that, great idea.

If you dont have a welder JB Quik Weld will work but you will need a shit load.

Thank you all for the info ,I would like to weld a piece of round bar to the fender. Then seal the inside. Where do I get "Auto seam sealer"? What brand? How exactly does it work? Do I need to weld the entire length of the fender,or in several different spots?

Thank you all for the info ,I would like to weld a piece of round bar to the fender. Then seal the inside. Where do I get "Auto seam sealer"? What brand? How exactly does it work? Do I need to weld the entire length of the fender,or in several different spots?

Napa carries a brushable seam sealer. or usually does.

You can probably just stitch weld it. Just seam seal the piss out of it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-auto-seam-sealer-caulk?itemIdentifier=167027

It's just like applying caulk. Smooth it out over the seam.

Since its a pretty stressed area, I'd weld quite a bit of it, if not all of it. Take it slow and skip around though so you don't warp the sheet metal.

TnT did it on their Jeep, check out this writeup

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244913938&postcount=9

Back