• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick durango box rebuild question

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently starting to reassemble the box and I am at the point where I am inserting the sector shaft bearing/seals.

In the thread saginaw rebuild thread on pirate (found here for reference) the guide indicates that these components would be inserted in the order: bearing, inner seal, washer, snap ring, outer seal.

Looking at the diagram provided with my seal kit it seems to indicate that in the durango box the parts are installed in the order: bearing, inner seal, washer, outer seal, washer, snap ring.

FWIW:
  • I know there was only one washer that came out of the durango box when I was tearing it apart so is it possible/likely that the diagram is referring to the white-ish plastic ring that came attached to the inner seal as a washer?
  • Also, if I follow the instructions on pirate there appears to be enough room between the washer and snap ring for the inner seal to fit there... so it almost seems like the diagram is correct but I wanted to double check before proceeding any further.

I guess the questions are
A) which order is correct?
B) assuming the diagram provided with the seal kit is correct, is the first 'washer' (marked with an * above) actually the plastic washer that was attached to the inner seal?

I already know I should have recorded the order it came apart on my own but I was dumb and didn't do so since I figured I had a rebuild guide to instruct me putting it back together. :doh:

edit: I'm starting to think that the pirate thread is correct and the diagram included with the seal kit includes universal instructions or something (I noticed that the saginaw rebuild instructions on fourwheeler.com show two washers used in a different setup than the pirate guide shows).

Last edited:
Played around a bit more and I'm wondering if somehow the bearing is pressed too far in or something. I only pressed it in until it stopped sliding smoothly but I can definitely see that there is a clean band around outside of the snap ring so the outer seal definitely goes outside of the snap ring as the pirate thread indicates... I'm thinking I will just try and press the bearing out a mm or two so that everything is snug and then just reassemble. If it leaks or breaks then oh well, I'll try a 2nd durango box I guess :gee:

Another note: I do have all the parts I took out of the box set aside and they match what the seal kit included for reassembly so I'm fairly positive I'm not missing anything.

Back