• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt troubles

Brfj666

NAXJA Forum User
so now im haveing belt troubles on my 96 4.0 the first time it happened the belt slipped a couple grooves off the back of the harmonic balancer. tightened the hell out of the belt and spaced my fan pull out with a washer and it solved the problem for about 2,000 miles. now i cant get it out of my driveway and it keeps hopping a couple grooves off the front of the alternator and it slides forward alot on the fan pully. i just put a new idler/adjusment pully but it didnt seem to work. any help would be greatly appreciated. oh and it does have a/c.\\

Thanks
Erik

Sounds like one or more pulleys are out of line. What kind of shape is the harmonic balancer in. Is the center poking out or recessed in?

Comanche001.jpg

If it looks anything like this picture, it's probably time to change it. Just that bit poking out was enough to pull my belt off center (I ate up a couple belts before I realized it).

There shouldn't be enough room for "belt slipped a couple grooves off the back of the harmonic balancer".
It's time to change it.

Be sure to use a harmonic balancer puller and install kit. DO NOT use the bolt that holds the balancer to the crank for install.
Trust me, you don't want to strip the threads in the crank end!

Mike

i will look into that. i tightened the hell out of it and now it just slips forward on the fan pully? thanks ya'll i'll let you know if i fix it or shoot it!

X2 on the harmonic balancer. Mine was doing the same thing, and this is what my balancer looked like.

2010-01-25003328.jpg

You all were lucky...mine went back into the timing cover.....

Back