• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding an underhood light

benXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 96 Sport and went to the junkyard the other day and got an underhood light from a donor. My XJ has the plug for the light, but no light from the factory, so I plugged it in, good bulb, good connection, but it won't come on. Is there something else that I need to do to get the light to work?

Thanks

AFAIK, the plug for the underhood light (at least on my 90) is constant hot... if it doesnt work its either doesnt have 12v, doesnt have ground, or the mercury switch is bad.
i just run an aftermarket light on a switch.

I love my under hood light but I keep saying I am going to add a switch to it. Plenty of times I want to leave my hood open over night or while I run up to the parts store and not leave the light on. I like that the light auto comes on with the hood but it would really be nice to have a switch.

yea...it is different than the earlier models, and I'm not sure where the switch is that turns the light on and off when the hood is opened.

The only switch in the circuit is the Mercury switch in the lamp assembly. Disassemble the lamp and clean all the corrosion out of the lamp assembly, especially the switch (tube) and its contacts.

I wish I would have never got mine working again. It's useless to begin with, and like others say, you can't leave the hood open for any length of time for fear of running the battery down.

Power to the lamp comes directly off a fuse in the PDC.

I wish I would have never got mine working again. It's useless to begin with, and like others say, you can't leave the hood open for any length of time for fear of running the battery down.

Power to the lamp comes directly off a fuse in the PDC.

You can very easily just unplug the lamp, takes a second to unclip it while not ideal it is not a major hassle either. Also if that tiny bulb runs down your battery it's doing you a favor and telling you it is time for a new battery :attom: .

Get rid of the mercury switch. My lamp was intermittent. Would required a tap or two to get it working. Then one day it just stopped working altogether. Bought a small 10A switch, drilled a hole, took the mercury switch out and soldered some wires between the contacts to the switch.

well got it working...took it apart, sprayed it all down with some cleaner, let it dry, put it back together and it worked...adjusted it so it comes on as the hood is raised halfway

Back