• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best replacement floor pans?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like there are a few different replacement floor pans available out there. Who has replaced theirs and were you pleased, displeased, etc, with the ones you got?

My passenger side front is pretty much toast.

I used Raybuck. I haven't installed them yet, but they are quality, heavy pieces.

Order Details:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantity: 1
Item: 1984-01 Jeep Cherokee Front Floor Section, RH (0482-222)
Unit Price: $83.25
Total Price: $83.25
Quantity: 1
Item: 1984-01 Jeep Cherokee Front Floor Section, LH (0482-221)
Unit Price: $83.25
Total Price: $83.25
sub total: $166.50
shipping: $31.64
handling: $10.00
total: $208.14

I used the rock-auto one this past weekend to get my rusty floor fixed. As said before, it took some massaging to get it to fit right, but nothing a few min with a ball-peen couldn't take care of. I ended up cutting mine too short, so I had to tack in another piece, but its close enough for the winter/trail beater, and it will all be under carpet anyway.

2011-09-16125721.jpg

2011-09-17200018.jpg

The cheap ones are cheap for a reason. They are thinner steel, undersized, and poorly formed. www.Raybuck.com has some good ones that I think you can buy from other vendors. They are perfectly shaped, oversize, and the sheet metal is thicker than the original metal from the Jeep factory.

Spend a few extra bucks for the good ones and you will have a lifetime repair instead of a crappy patch.

I agree, my cheapies needed some banging to mesh well with the stock metal, and some extra welding in the corner. They are, however, 18ga steel, and as far as I can see the body was 20ga.

If you have the extra means, get the nice ones at www.raybuck.com, if not, the rock-auto's are about half the price.

around here they are all rusted just as bad in the junkyard... and covered in seam sealer goop and whatnot. I like pristine never-welded panels when I'm elbows deep in spot welds, rust, paint, and seam sealer already just clearing the path for a patch.

I used a Raybuck in my 90 two door. Great quality, but the fit for a two door is a little different. Anyway I had to cut holes for the seat bolts. The roll cage welded to it nicely.

Thanks guys.

I definitely only want to do this once, so I don't want to skimp. I want something at least as heavy as factory. It looks like Raybuck is the way to go. I'm only hearing positives for theirs.

westvirginia, since you haven't installed your's yet, any chance you could measure the thickness? Their catalog says 19ga or thicker. I need to measure my floor to compare.

thanks!

I will see if I can find a set of calipers to measure with, but the thickness with a tape measure fits neatly between the 16th of an inch marks without touching the lines. I should be able to get you a measurement by this time tomorrow night.

I used Sherman for mine. Thick and correct contours. Fit with no issues and as reasonable priced when I did then a few years ago.

I got .046" by the set of calipers I borrowed. Hope that helps.

Thanks! That's some where between 18 and 19GA. Probably 18GA and it's just stretched from forming. Raybuck's site says 19GA minimum so that fits.

My band has gigs this coming Saturday and the following Friday so I won't be able to tear into it until after that since I use the XJ for hauling gear. I'm going to wait to order until I see what other surprises I might find under the carpet, just in case I need to order more that one floor pan.

I just put the RockAuto pans in mine last month. Because of the amount of rust on my XJ floor they didn't have enough material on both sides where the rocker, firewall, and floor meet. Wasn't a big deal since I had other metal to fill the remaining hole. Other than that I had no issue with them.

Back