• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Jeep XJ

raymond32j

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L with 135k miles. I had been having problems starting the jeep, had to turn the key 3 times to prime the fuel pump for it to start up. So I finally had some extra money to replace it. The jeep starts right up but the codes for the check engine light came up P0351/P0352/P0353. So then i went to go replace the ignition coil and put new spark plugs in as well. So the jeep starts right up and drives, however the check engine light came on again and now the code is P1391. I have been searching these forums furiously and I noticed and the symptoms for this code is usually a no start or drops after 2000 rpms which my jeep does not. My jeep drives perfect, no misfires from what I can hear/feel. So could this still be caused by the CPS? I really need this fixed and the check engine light off for it to pass smog as the 3 months are already up and I don't have enough money to keep replacing parts. I am just ready to give it to the local mechanic and have them diagnose it for me as I have limited tools and limited auto knowledge. So did anyone had a problem like this? Should I replace the CPS? Thanks guys, Im just stuck right now.

Just for your confirmation, I pulled my 2001 XJ FSM and confimed codes for you:

P0351- Ignition coil #1 primary circuit
P0353- Ignition coil #2 primary circuit
P0353- Ignition coil #3 primary circuit
**All 3 of them have the same discription: "Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximium dwell time"

P1391- Intermittant loss of CMP or CKP
**discription: Loss of the Cam Position Sensor or Crank Position Sensor has occured

When you changed the spark plugs and the ignition coil rail, you may have inadvertently disturbed the wiring for the Cam Position Sensor or the CrankShaft Position Sensor. A poor connection of either sensor can cause this error code. Inspect all of the engine wiring harness connections and be sure that no wires are chaffed or rubbing/wearing through any where.

Another possibility is the Camshaft Position Sensor can be getting flaky, out of adjustment, or the oil pump drive shaft that it is mounted to may be having a mechanical problem. Adjustment of the camshaft position sensor can be checked by using the "toothpick method" for general alignment. A DRB scan tool or oscilloscope is needed to get the adjustment perfect, but many people say the toothpick method will be close enough for troubleshooting purposes. Search the forum using "toothpick method" for manual adjustment check.

The oil pump drive shaft is where the Distributor would normally be, if you had one.

Back