• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear driveshaft question

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So I wacked my rear pinion good today. I was on the yoke spinning the da and scraped it up good. Now it seams like a have a little play in my driveshaft now. How much play are you supposed to have. I checked it a month ago and it seamed like it had no play. Should it have any? If it's not supposed to then what would be wrong, R&P or u joint or what.

Play where? Slip yoke, u joint or pinion? Check again, it's probably the slip yoke. You can just replace it.

Do you have a locker? Rotational play is normal,but you will have even more with an "lunch box" style locker.

I wouldn't think that rubbin' the driveshaft would affect the differential or transfer case. Be sure to check the DS slip yoke and u-joints for damage/play.

Seems normal to me. I have a lunchbox locker in the back and ARB up front and pretty sure I have at least that much play in both driveshafts.

Rubbing a little on the pinion won't hurt anything. Mine is pretty scraped up too.

Back