• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no bump stops in the front?

unhitched

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question, do i need to run bump stops in the front if my springs compress before anything rubs or bottoms out? i have RC 4.5 coils and JKS Arcos and i took it out wheeling a bit today and it seems that my bump stops dont touch before the spring totally compress out... is this ok? or do i need to raise my bump stop?

thanks

nick

You need to properly bumpstop it. Mainly so you don't bottom out your shocks but also to keep the tires out of the fenders.

my shocks have an an inch and a half of travel left and i do not rub the tire in the fender, the spring is just compressed before it touches anything else....

Not to mention any hard "shock" loads on the unibody cant be good,thats what the bumpstops do.

How do your springs "compress out"? Unless the coils are touching they can still compress more...

my coil compress at full stuff so that they appear to just be a cylinder with no gaps.... i suppose it because i am getting probably 2" of lift from my ACOS, if i did not have that i would have 1.5 inches of compression left in the spring when the axle hit the bump stop....

You're completely compressing a spring? I can honestly say I've never seen one COMPLETELY compressed into a "cylinder with no gaps." Did your springs come off a Geo Metro? :)

Might as well bumpstop it right. I didn't for a long time and that's why my Jeep has a Gangsta Lean.

Back