• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 regear: How's my pattern look?

jake3240

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to tackle my first gear install last week. Finally got to running some patterns on my gears yesterday. I think I have it close but wanted to get your opinions before I call it good. The thing that is concerning me is the line at the root of the tooth. From what I've seen and read, it seems like the pattern should be a bit more feathered and a little bigger. Any suggestions?

Here' what I used:
Precision Gear ford 8.8 4.88 ring/pinion
DT (timken) master install kit
Detroit Locker
(super 88 kit is on the way)

This is with pinion depth set to .040" & .009" Backlash

Coast
88axlework011.jpg

Drive
88axlework010.jpg

OK, so I spent most of today rolling patterns. Needless to say, I've gotten pretty good at pulling that carrier & pinion outta there. Thank god for setup bearings. I tried to do about 3 backlash runs for every change in pinion depth.
Here's a run I did at .030 Pinion shim & .015 Backlash. The drive side is a bit higher toward the top of the tooth, but the coast side is a little closer to toe. Am I on the right track?

Coast
030015003JPG.jpg

Drive
030015001JPG.jpg

Here's a link to the rest. I ran patterns from .038 down to .023 Pinion shim.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Jake3240/Gear patterns/

Sweet. Thanks for the look. I can't wait to get these guys in. Now I just need to build up my front D44 so I can get rid of my broken D30 and actually have 4WD again. :D Really appreciate the help.

Ok some learning time for me. What did you mean by the pinion was too deep? Say the contact was too close to the inside of the ring gear or it was too deep in the housing on the edge of the ring gear?
I'm doing my 8.8 soon and just relized I dont know as much as I thought. Also I'm throwing an arb in a d30 I'm rebuilding so I can learn on setting the carrier and checking the mesh before pulling out the rear.

I'm doing my 8.8 soon and just relized I dont know as much as I thought

Haha, that was how I started feeling once I started rolling out patterns. :D It's certainly a learning experience. I'm glad I kept with it though. Best wishes on your build. PS, Be sure to document everything with pictures and keep them organized. Then you can compare one pattern to another after you take a break & de-stress. That helps a lot.

Back