• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got codes...now what??

xj98xj

NAXJA Forum User
so the check engine light was on and I went to a local shop to get the codes. they were P0700 P0705... its shifting fine and I'm not having any issues with the jeep other than hard starting (probably CPS). Could that be the cause for these codes or is it something different entirely? Anyone else had these before?

P0705 and P0700 together are usually related to the NSS (Neutral safety switch). Are your reverse lights working correctly?

NSS is very expensive to buy new. Its fairly easy to clean/refurb, hardest part is getting it off. Google something like NSS XJ, you should find more than enough info

look here http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm From direct experience... Drench the hardware (one nut, one bolt) with good penetrating oil or a few day prior to removal as they tend to corrode onto the shaft making removal interesting.

Make witness marks to assist the post repair alignment. I failed to do this and it took three shots at it to get it right. Mine was a tad persnickety

I used a quality solvent to clean out all of the old, baked, dielectric grease. Be very careful not to loose the two springs that are mentioned in the article.

All in all, one of the easier tasks and a huge money saver.

look here http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm From direct experience... Drench the hardware (one nut, one bolt) with good penetrating oil or a few day prior to removal as they tend to corrode onto the shaft making removal interesting.

Make witness marks to assist the post repair alignment. I failed to do this and it took three shots at it to get it right. Mine was a tad persnickety

I used a quality solvent to clean out all of the old, baked, dielectric grease. Be very careful not to loose the two springs that are mentioned in the article.

All in all, one of the easier tasks and a huge money saver.

I think I'm going to tackle this today. Once its done, should I expect the codes to clear on their own or do I need to have them cleared?

The codes may take a while to clear on their own. Unless you face a smog check soon, I'd clear the codes.

Define "hard starting"?

Back