• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Fan Clutch, Replace with junkyard electric fan?

Ulver44

NAXJA Forum User
Well after installing a new csf 2 core rad on my 89 xj w/4.0 and converting the system to newer style to try and fix my overheat i noticed my mech fan was easy to turn with the engine hot or cold. i am told this means a bad fan clutch and if so, I want to replace it with an electric fan i can get from a junkyard. im running the stock elec fan on the drivers side but am missing the fan shroud on the passenger side so hopefully a replacement fan will have a sufficient one.

should i get one from a newer xj or ford taurus or? I want both fans to turn on with a switch in the cab. right now my stock fan is wired straight to the battery that i unplug.

it still overheats, just not as fast. hopefully its just due bad fan clutch/no fan shroud. block test came back negative.

You're better off replacing the fan clutch and getting another shroud. Plenty of evidence around that the best setup is the stock fans.

removing the shroud from the mechanical fan is severely reducing it's efficiency. If you're going to go JY shopping, look for a shroud. That may solve your problem by itself.

If you go full electric, you might consider having one or both fans on a thermostat control. They're inexpensive, and you don't have to watch the temp gauge or run the fans all the time.

I run the Ford two speed in place of the mechanical. It is wired to run on low when the ignition is on and to shift to high when my controller calls for fan. The nice ting about the 8c607 series Ford part is that it fits into the stock mechanical shroud making mounting easy.

The Heep operates between 191F and 201F all day, every day. Occasionally, on the highway, it will get up to 210F but it is a pretty rare occasion. Then again, I run an electric water pump as well.

do a search for a ZJ fan clutch without max a/c bolts up loose a lil hp but blowes like a........... Lets just keep it pg ............Jet plane

Back