• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What (size) wheels should i buy for when i lift my xj

MikeJ11

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on buying a cherokee sport and lifting it 4.5 inches. I wanted to start looking at wheels now to know prices and stuff so what are some good websites or places to look for wheels and tires maybe not super expensive. But most importantly what size wheels should i be looking for

Impossible to determine without tire sizes and future plans.

I kind of wish I had gone with 15x8 or 17x8, 4.5" backspace, and 5x5.5 lug pattern with spacer-adapters to accommodate future axle changes.

You will probably want 15x8 with 3.75" backspace. Summit Racing has some nice simple aluminum wheels for decent prices.

20's and LP's..

zacsjeep.jpg

FYI, steel wheels also get beat up on rocks, and they bend.

Very rarely does that happen. To the regular occasional wheeling, bending a wheel will more likely never happen.

I've been wheeling for about 10 years and never came close to bending a wheel but I did chip the paint on one of them lol.

15x8 with 4.5 or 4" backspacing seems to be the overall best wheel IMO.

I agree with that. I have 15x8 with what seems like 3.25 or 3.50" backspacing. They stick out a bit but line up perfect with my bushwacker fender flat flares.

Well, wheel size is kind of a personal thing. If you regularly spell "wheels" or "rims" with a "Z", I'd recommend a 26" or a 28", spinners if you can find them.
Otherwise, my personal opinion is, for an off-road rig, the rim should be a litle less then half the tire dia. Much taller sidewall and you start running into tire carcass stability issues. Take the the tire dai, subtract 1 inch, then go with the nearest whole size. With this formula, I'd stick with a 15" for anything up to a 32" tire.
As for width, the rim should be slightly narrower then the tread. Not the tire body, the tread. For example: A BFG 30x9.50-15 has an actual tread width of 7.5 inches. A 7 inch rim is fine for this tire. An 8 inch rim would be a little too wide.

Very rarely does that happen. To the regular occasional wheeling, bending a wheel will more likely never happen.

I've been wheeling for about 10 years and never came close to bending a wheel but I did chip the paint on one of them lol.

I thought the same thing until I put my steel wheels on a tire balancer and watched them spin. Bent all to hell.

I run 15x8 wheels

Based on what you say, I'd recommend 15x8 aluminum wheels. Usually ebay has some good deals.

I've only had a drivers license for 9 years, but I've bent 3? steel wheels, and seen plenty more than that bent.

I've only seen 1 aluminum wheel bent on my buddies rig, and 1 cracked aluminum wheel.

Starboard M on here is running my old set of aluminum wheels, and as far as I know, they are straight enough to run down the highway.

Back