• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 vs 4.88 with 35's

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
going to order my gears tonight and cannot decide on 4.56's or 4.88s i have looked at the gearing to tire size chart and cant make a decision.

i currently have 3.55's with 33's and its terrible. i plan on getting 35's no bigger.
and the axles i am building with 4.88's will not go in until i have the 35's

i have a 94 HO block and head in my renix 88 with an ax15 and 231 AA SYE.

will 4.88's be better while wheeling and on gas mileage than 4.56's while running 35's?
i wheel alot of mud and wet rocky kind of stuff and alot of snow in the winter.

sorry wasnt sure if this belonged in mod or oem tech and im sure it has been asked before if so sorry

AX 15 you WANT 4.88 expecially wheeling trust me

Debated many many times. People who have 4.56s often recommend 4.88s, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone with 4.88s recommend 4.56s.

I recommend 4.88s.

I am also running 488's with 35's, I am very happy i did the 488's.

I'm very happy with my 33's and 4.88's. Get the 4.88's, you won't regret it. Last time I had 35's I had 5.13's.

I run 4.88s with 33s and love it! I've driven 4.56 with 33s and 35s.... needs more gear, go with 4.88s you won't regret it.

Make sure you have a VERY good shop do the install, with such a small pinion and ring gear you don't want these gears to be off spec.

What rear axle do you have? Is the front a disco dana 30? If grab a set of axles out of a 97+, a HP dana 30 and a chysler 8.25 29 spline will handle 35s with 4.88s... Don't even consider gearing a dana 35!

I run 4.88s with 33s and love it! I've driven 4.56 with 33s and 35s.... needs more gear, go with 4.88s you won't regret it.

Make sure you have a VERY good shop do the install, with such a small pinion and ring gear you don't want these gears to be off spec.

What rear axle do you have? Is the front a disco dana 30? If grab a set of axles out of a 97+, a HP dana 30 and a chysler 8.25 29 spline will handle 35s with 4.88s... Don't even consider gearing a dana 35!

thanks everyone for the advice i figured 4.88's would be the way to go 5.13's would be sweet if it was a dedicated wheeler and the chryco 8.25 could get 5.13's (i dont even think the d30 can get 5.13's? ha)

and the axle i am building is a vacuum disco but i plan on trussing it and running a one piece shaft and welding the vacuum disco section to the axle tubes. i like the solid upper control arm mount. so don't tell me im crazy! i have a normal non disco HP30 also if i ever decide to change it my rear axle is an 8.25 not sure if its 29 or 27 but if not i will upgrade to 29 spline i have a 27 spline complete spare so if the one in my rig is 27 spline i will just build my spare axle so the jeep has less downtime.

also i am doing the gears myself but under the supervision of someone who has done gears many times in hotrods and wheelers so im not to worried. i cant afford to have a shop install them and would rather learn how to do it anyways.

also i would never put any money into a 35 ha my buddy however somehow managed to run a 35 with 4.10's and a locker on 33's for 2.5 years until it finally blew up, chipped the ring gear and it got caught in there locking up the tires while we were doing 35MPH wasnt fun

also could someone help me figure out the difference between these two c8.25 R&P sets?

the price is only 5 dollars different and the part numbers seem to be the same! im not worried about the 5 bucks i just want to make sure i order the right gears for my 8.25!

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-160580-chrysler-8-25-ring-pinion-4-88.html

Looks like the one above is the price for 4.88.

This one requires you to select 4.88 in the drop down and then the price increases by $5.

Some web designers :rolleyes:

Looks like the one above is the price for 4.88.

This one requires you to select 4.88 in the drop down and then the price increases by $5.

Some web designers :rolleyes:

haha jeez, and to think i went to school for computer programming and networking...

thanks that one had me stumped! now to order them! :party:

thanks everyone for the advice i figured 4.88's would be the way to go 5.13's would be sweet if it was a dedicated wheeler and the chryco 8.25 could get 5.13's (i dont even think the d30 can get 5.13's? ha)

and the axle i am building is a vacuum disco but i plan on trussing it and running a one piece shaft and welding the vacuum disco section to the axle tubes. i like the solid upper control arm mount. so don't tell me im crazy! i have a normal non disco HP30 also if i ever decide to change it my rear axle is an 8.25 not sure if its 29 or 27 but if not i will upgrade to 29 spline i have a 27 spline complete spare so if the one in my rig is 27 spline i will just build my spare axle so the jeep has less downtime.

also i am doing the gears myself but under the supervision of someone who has done gears many times in hotrods and wheelers so im not to worried. i cant afford to have a shop install them and would rather learn how to do it anyways.

also i would never put any money into a 35 ha my buddy however somehow managed to run a 35 with 4.10's and a locker on 33's for 2.5 years until it finally blew up, chipped the ring gear and it got caught in there locking up the tires while we were doing 35MPH wasnt fun

Have the patience to set the backlash on the tight side of acceptable range, it will open very slightly as it wears, and less backlash is slightly more tooth engagement.

I just went down this path.

I have the same set up 33's 4.0 ax15. d30 and 8.25.

I went with 4.88's.

I have been driving my rig for 2 weeks now and all i can say is wow. 1st gear is a beast. Its almost too jumpy in first like having it in low gear if you know what I mean. You have to feather the clutch in traffic to avoid that jumpyness.

At 60 mph I am turning about 2100rpm on the road. Not terrible but its awesome to have power again.

I went with the Nitro gear set F+R from ECGS my installer is used to installing Randy's ring and pinion stuff and he said he liked them better but im not sure his reasoning. They set up fine I have zero noises besides my lockers which is normal.

If you have any questions let me know. I think once I go up to 35's they will be perfect, its not my DD so I would rather have too much gear than too little and highway driving is not a priority but it can handle it if need be if your ok going 60-65 max which I am in my jeep.

I just went down this path.

I have the same set up 33's 4.0 ax15. d30 and 8.25.

I went with 4.88's.

I have been driving my rig for 2 weeks now and all i can say is wow. 1st gear is a beast. Its almost too jumpy in first like having it in low gear if you know what I mean. You have to feather the clutch in traffic to avoid that jumpyness.

At 60 mph I am turning about 2100rpm on the road. Not terrible but its awesome to have power again.

I went with the Nitro gear set F+R from ECGS my installer is used to installing Randy's ring and pinion stuff and he said he liked them better but im not sure his reasoning. They set up fine I have zero noises besides my lockers which is normal.

If you have any questions let me know. I think once I go up to 35's they will be perfect, its not my DD so I would rather have too much gear than too little and highway driving is not a priority but it can handle it if need be if your ok going 60-65 max which I am in my jeep.

i never go over 65 in my jeep and my speedo only goes to 85.. ha and the bad balljoints/ vibes at 60 prevent that. that is also part of the reason i am building a new front axle! the LP30 my friend put into the jeep before i bought it is thrashed. just babying it a little longer until new axles are done. and i only drive highway to go wheeling or going to the mt for whatever reason.

thanks for your opinion im pretty glad i ordered the 4.88's! and i think i will be happy with them

thanks for your opinion im pretty glad i ordered the 4.88's! and i think i will be happy with them

I think you will too.

Back