• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar heim joint replacement

98cherokeedriver

NAXJA Forum User
I have a procomp jtb400 track bar on my '98 with about 2" of lift. I had an off road shop install it when I first bought the rig about 6 months ago to combat death wobble. Had I not been so new to Cherokees at the time I would have purchased something better and installed it myself. Now the heim joint already has noticeable play in it. I'm thinking about replacing it with a new one and having a stockpile of them if I can find the right size, or better yet replacing it with a johnny joint and a double shear mount and being done with it. I have tried contacting procomp about a replacement, but have not heard back yet. Also I already tried measuring the current one while it's on the vehicle and ordering a new one from an industrial manufacture, but it was the wrong size. Worse case I can buy a whole new set up, but I'd like to save some of the money I already threw away. Suggestions, experience, comments?

One thing you could do to help. Is modify a stock TB mount to run the heim in double sheer with misalignment spacers. That is how mine is currently set up. Mine is RE1600, replacement heim and a stock TB mount modified by Web dog (bought this setup off him)

I'm unsure of how you would modify the stock mount to double shear and retain the stock mounting height. I have thought of using a heim in double shear, but if I'm going to replace the joint and the bracket, it just seems better to go with a johnny joint. I'm still running the stock steering and will be for a while, so I don't want to alter the geometry.

Back