• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dust in the Power Distribution Center

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
I live on a dirt road, and do most of my driving in dry, dusty conditions. The inside of my power distribution center is really dirty. Is that normal?

The top cover fits pretty loosely ... there is no gasket or anything. Does it normally come with a gasket?

If no gasket, any ideas on keeping the dust out?

Thnx.

duct tape.

Yeah ... I thought of that. I also thought of running a bead of silicone in the lid to act as gasket for a better seal. Also thought of putting door edge protector around the edge of the case, which would help fill in the gap. Look at the "U-Door Edge" or the "Edge Trim" here:
http://www.cowlesproducts.com/styleguard_door_edge.html

You're on the right track... Once you've placed a thin bead of silicon on the lid, put some vaseline on the contact edge of the PDC. That way when you place the lid on, it won't stick to the PDC also. Once the silicon has cured, it will from a tight custom fit seal....

duct tape is good enough to seal WW1 ammo cans... good enough for a PDC lol

The problem with duct tape is you have to un-tape it and re-tape it every time you access the PDC. I'll get some 100% silicone caulk tomorrow and try that. Hopefully, it will be just that one fix, and then I'll be done with it.

Thanks.

Why are you worrying about dust? If you seal it up I'd worry about condensation creating corrosion!

Why are you worrying about dust? If you seal it up I'd worry about condensation creating corrosion!

All the other important connections on the wiring harness are protected with rubber seals and are nice and new looking when disconnected. Why should all of the relay and fuse connections be caked with dirt?

Back