• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Cases

JeepNewb

NAXJA Forum User
My transfer case on my 88 Manual xj w/ 4.0L is bad i can move the driveshaft up and down inside the T-case. Now what t-cases are interchangeable??

There are a number of transfer cases that are compatable, but for stock swaps there is the NP231 (CommandTrac) and the NP242(SelectTrac), but you need to ensure that the one you get has a 21 spline input shaft. The 91 and newer XJs come with 23 spline input shafts.

Is there any difference in Bolt Pattern to the AX-15 vs. the AW-4?

I myself am looking to put a new T-case on my 97, AX-15... I am finding t-cases from 4 cylinder TJ's... AW-4... have yet to find an AX-15 donor, if it matters...

Is there any difference in Bolt Pattern to the AX-15 vs. the AW-4?

I myself am looking to put a new T-case on my 97, AX-15... I am finding t-cases from 4 cylinder TJ's... AW-4... have yet to find an AX-15 donor, if it matters...

In terms of bolt pattern, there is no difference. A 242 I had behind my AW4 is now sitting behind a friend's AX-15.

Just make sure that the input shaft height out of the cases are similar, as there was some variances between the years. (on top of spline count which was mentioned above)

IIRC isn't there a replaceable bronze bushing in the TC tailhousing?

Might want to look into that before you toss the current TC. If the front DS yoke is tight, I'd take a good look at the output shaft slip bushing first as it might not be a goner.

Back