• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle mounts for dana 44 rock krawler

Speedbump96

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know what to use for upper control arm mounts for rock krawler long arms cause they have the special joint they use where could i get the brackets from and does anyone have any pics? ill be getting a new dana 44 front and i need to find good mounts

What does the axle side upper mount on yours look like? Mine is the Rock Krawler 3-link built for a cherokee, so it's meant to bolt through a bushing on the axle

I built my own truss out of 1/4" steel, took some time but relatively simple. Welding to the casting center section takes care and a different rod. Probably could have made the truss wider, it's only 2", if I did it again I would have done 2.75" to be the same width as the axle tubes.
100_1214.jpg

Mocked up before welding
100_1251.jpg

Then I used the ballistic fab bushing with weldable housing (2.63", I had to trim the ends of the bushing just slightly to about 2.5"). If I did it again I'd probably use their heim joint instead.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Weldable-Ballistic-Joints-Bushings_c_143.html

I made two holes in 1/4" plate with the right size hole saw (2 1/2" I think? don't remember exactly), welded those to the bushing housing and then to the top of the truss.
100_1593.jpg

100_1596.jpg

It's worked fine for me except because it's high above the welds holding the truss to the tubes, it kept cracking them. I made a piece that wraps around the tube and goes up both sides of the truss on the short side, welded it all the way around. Haven't had a problem since. This is the only picture of it I have sitting around here, it's on the very end of the truss on the right.

Also a good front view of the mount itself

front.jpg

Last edited:
the passenger side mount in the same as factory just uses there joint which is the flex joint ill see if i can get some pics and post them on here tommorow

Not exactly sure what you're asking...

Anyway, I have a 3 link Rock Krawler on my front D44 that uses the joint you talk about. The 3rd link attaches to the pumpkin case (see pic). Have you tried calling Rock Krawler for upper brackets?

hte2s6.jpg

Not exactly sure what you're asking...

Anyway, I have a 3 link Rock Krawler on my front D44 that uses the joint you talk about. The 3rd link attaches to the pumpkin case (see pic). Have you tried calling Rock Krawler for upper brackets?

hte2s6.jpg
yeah i need a mount like that they sell the one for the p/s arm but i havent found anyone who makes it to weld on the pumpkin like yours

yeah i need a mount like that they sell the one for the p/s arm but i havent found anyone who makes it to weld on the pumpkin like yours

That's not welded onto sdspearo's axle, the rubicon "dana 44" has that cast into the housing just like our dana 30. No standard dana 44 has that.

What I've been trying to say is nobody I've ever seen makes a weld-on mount for the casting, your best bet is to truss it and weld a mount onto the top of that. Gets you get the added benefit of a truss too. You could even take a long side mount and cut it down shorter, so you could run the same joint. Whatever you do is going to require at least a little fabrication.

Back