• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15, hard to find reverse while wheelin

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
'90 XJ 4.0 AX15/231 D30/8,25 35"

Was doing some wheeling this weekend involving really tight turns so i had to back up in a few weird posistions.

Seems like my reverse is hard to find every now and then if the Jeep is "twisted".

I always find reverse eventually after going in and out of neutral and 1st a few times, sometimes it'll grind or slam into reverse though.

When reverse is "gone" it's like that "gate" is blocked completely. There's no indent or anything where the reverse usually would be.

Common thing or do i need to adjust something??

I'd start with checking motor mounts/tranny mount and check all of the linkages. Something is probably warn out not allowing you to go into reverse when twisted.

Mine does the same thing when the driveline is wound up a bit. It happens on many transmissions that have no synchro in reverse. If the gears don't line up and there's no slack, it just won't' go in. I usually put it into second or third and then try again and it goes in.

Back