• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3rd Brake Light Socket Not Working?

Miller88

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a quick way to fix this? I had a friend of mine check and he says the ground is good but there's no power to it. Is there a way I can fix this quickly and cheaply? I have to get it inspected this month and it's ... probably not going to pass without the 3rd brake light.

I'm thinking of just running a new wire to it and splicing into the left brake light. Is that doable?

You don't say what the year is, but I will assume its your 2000 in your profile. There is only one brake light switch. It operates all 3 brake lights. You may have a broken wire between the body and hatch. You could either try to find that wire and fix it or your idea would work too.

Like Talyn says, usually the copper wire breaks internally at the hatch hinge after 100's of
repeated opening and closings. Check for power somewhere along the wire loom before it
reaches the hatch to confirm this. If so, then you'll have to splice in a new wire through
this area.

X2 on a broken wire. just dealt with this on my '99 last weekend. had three wires in the loom that the insulation was cracked and the wire was exposed. it was a PIA to get the wires exposed enough so i could fix them. I took off the hatch interior panel which exposed a wire junction at the top of the door. i had three connectors to remove at the back of that junction then i was able to pull the wiring out of the hatch and remove the rubber sleeve that seals the hatch and body. then my repair was possible. good luck!

I wouldn't tap into the left brake light wire to get power to the third brake light.
It will cause the left brake light to be slightly dimmer than the right side brake light.
Ask me how I know this.

As QUABOAG notes, this is a PIA repair, but you might as well do it correctly.

Back