• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock set-ups

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to figure out what might be the best solution for me but I can't find a lot of info on the JKS rear upper shock bar (this)

So I have some nice Edlebrock Res in the rear but am going to swap in a 44 with raised shock mounts, I never thought I would want raised mounts on this jeep but the dents keep coming so I figure what the hell.

Option 1) sell the Edlebrok's and pick up some shorter 5150's

Option 2) keep the Edlebrock's and get the way overpriced JKS shock bar

I will be putting in a new cat back exhaust someday so that part of the JKS thing does not bother me. I am just worried the nicer shocks I have now will run a lot worse than the 5150's at the angle I would need them at.

I currently have an RE 3.5 leaf with RE shackle (the RE 4.5 rear end). My current shocks have about 1.5" - 2" of left over compression and extension in the stock configuration.

What do you guys think? Is the JKS bar even an option?

Josh

sell the junk edelbrocks and buy 5150s

I know the 5150's are nice but I would not call the Edlebrocks Resi's junk.

If everything measures out well once the new axle is in then I think I will lean toward new shocks.

Does anyone know the offset of the holes for the JKS bar? And how far down it sits from the stock upper mount?

I would like to calc how much that thing will help.

Josh

I know the 5150's are nice but I would not call the Edlebrocks Resi's junk.

If everything measures out well once the new axle is in then I think I will lean toward new shocks.

Does anyone know the offset of the holes for the JKS bar? And how far down it sits from the stock upper mount?

I would like to calc how much that thing will help.

Josh

i would. ok maybe not junk, but crap. theyre a standard off the shelf monotube gas shock with some extra oil capacity for looks.

and by adding that bar youre increasing the angle of the shocks, further decreasing their effectiveness...

I moved my lower mount over and up,still able to use the same shocks as before the mod. By moving them closer to the wheel I get alot better protection.
P1040635.jpg

since we're kind of on the topic of shock location. does anyone see any problems with mounting the shock on top of the axle. yes i understand you will have to cut the floor. i'm fine with that, i am planning to make a new rear crossmember with some ford shock towers through it.

just don't know how that will affect the effectiveness of the shocks

I have mine set up like the JKS upper mount, with the lower mounts even with the axle tubes. It feels more stable on and offroad, and idk if its just me, but the ride quality on road feels better then it did. Its absorbs bumps rather then banging over them. I have both shocks angled at 50-55 degrees.

since we're kind of on the topic of shock location. does anyone see any problems with mounting the shock on top of the axle. yes i understand you will have to cut the floor. i'm fine with that, i am planning to make a new rear crossmember with some ford shock towers through it.

just don't know how that will affect the effectiveness of the shocks

straight up and down is better. closer to the tire is better. on top of the axle will give you less axle wrap control.... if your leafs arent great they will suck more.

Or shove those awesome shocks through that floor of yours. Be a cool kid like me.

68c64178.jpg

5dd9083b.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

XJLI is just a shock snob. Not everyone needs billiondy dollar shocks to drive it on the Long Island beaches.

Back