• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lub, lub, lub sound on left turns only?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
I get this quiet lub,lub,lub rotational sound on left turns only. I thought it was my front right hub bearing, but I just lifted that corner and spun the wheel. It spins smoothly with no play in any direction. Here's how far it will spin:
If I grab a lug at 9 o-clock and spin it to 12 (my hand on it for 1/4 rotation) then let go, it'll come around about one full rotation. There is no grittiness or "bad bearing" feel like I've noticed on bicycle hubs and other stuff. It is also not "free-spinning"; it is smooth and controlled.

So my question is: What else could cause a rotational lub,lub,lub sound on left turns only regardless of speed (faster you go, faster lubbing happens). It's not that noticeable, but I'd like to diagnose it before I sell the thing.

Also, I checked both sides up front and they both felt the same: no play from 6 to 12, 3 to 9, and no noises or grittiness to the rotation.

Any ideas? Could it be the front u-joint? I went in and hit every zerk I could find, but I couldn't find any on the u-joint between the axle and hub.

Back