PDA

View Full Version : east coast dirt roads and byways......

shortxjdoug
September 12th, 2011, 07:46
.....anybody know any good ones? i can find trails criscrossing the west coast but we have no idea where to start looking here at home. anybody know a good set of trails to use our newly built crawler/ dd expedition jeep?

XJLI
September 12th, 2011, 09:44
the east coast blows.

get yourself a gazetteer for the state you want and start shopping the dotted lines (4x4/unmaintained roads). make sure you have plenty of gas money and expect to be let down by locked gates.

Lowrange2
September 12th, 2011, 11:57
Same here. SC has some dirt roads in the mountains but they have gates everywhere.

Cnickgo
September 12th, 2011, 14:56
Look at the Wilson Creek area of Pisgah National Forest in NC. I can make most of a day on gravel roads from Blowing Rock, around the Wilson Creek/ Edgemont, down to the Brown Mountain area. One attraction is the ghost town of Mortimer. Probably can connect to some more in the Linville Gorge area, I have not been through there yet. IIRC there is some way to connect into TN, I remember reading some trip report from a dual purpose motorcycle guy about a path on a railroad bed or something. It takes some digging because us Appalachian folk like to keep things quiet.

Oh, on that note, I wouldn't recommend stopping in the Edgemont or the populated Mortimer areas. Keep rolling on through.

Here are some pictures from that area:
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244150797&postcount=2
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244150803&postcount=3
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/167831_771307831127_36618587_41243612_884963_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165386_771310331117_36618587_41243649_5338723_n.jp g
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/166817_771310445887_36618587_41243652_5397265_n.jp g

I also used to make a day out of Moses Creek in Cullowhee NC, which is game land, although the main trail there has been blocked due to overuse and erosion problems. Two main paths there now would take about 3 hours, one of which ends in a great camping spot. Not really a trip for driving as much as the end destination for setting up camp.

George Washington National Forest in VA, off Rte 33 outside of Harrisonburg has the same deal. Fire/access roads. Something else to look into.

Talk to Stump about the N. GA area. I know ExPo makes some trips around there as well.

Definitely not "expedition" worthy as compared to the Wrong Coast, no way to make a multi-day trip, but there are some offroad options that aren't a park where you are focusing on obstacles.

UNCC_99XJ
September 12th, 2011, 16:29
A couple more from the Blowing Rock/Grandfather Mountain area:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2121/img0890xt.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1193/img0908ab.jpg

And a couple more from the Cullowhee area. We stayed on this road for a couple of hours as it covered a couple of the mountains:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2397/img0795gy.jpg

The view you get at the campsite:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2948/img0806hf.jpg

A buddy of mine ran some down near Asheville this past winter...Hurricane Road if i'm not mistaken is the name of the area he started at, and wound up in Tennessee for a bit. He got views such as this (all photo's are ripped from his FB without any sort of permission what so ever :D )

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/21573_262755431992_504176992_3832254_4954101_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/21573_262755786992_504176992_3832296_7349948_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/21573_262755501992_504176992_3832261_3668009_n.jpg

Nick and I will most definitely be doing more excursions this winter Doug. Not sure how easy it is for you to get over to Western NC, but perhaps we could coordinate a weekend trip or something.

shortxjdoug
September 13th, 2011, 14:10
definantly let us know those look like some fun day trips..... western nc is a short hop for us depending on where were going

UNCC_99XJ
September 13th, 2011, 17:23
Will do!

The Cullowhee run we did last October (as you can probably tell by the leaves still on the trees and turning color), and the Boone trip was in January.

Cottontail
September 18th, 2011, 19:37
Man, I'd like to run to Western NC to see that kind of scenery too! I've never done any snow runs either.

Nice pics fellas.

PacificEd
September 19th, 2011, 11:37
Sounds like a SEC ride guys!

What is the deal with the ghost town of Mortimer and why do you not want to stop? Any pictures of that area?

billyjp2
September 19th, 2011, 11:42
the east coast blows.

get yourself a gazetteer for the state you want and start shopping the dotted lines (4x4/unmaintained roads). make sure you have plenty of gas money and expect to be let down by locked gates.

speak for yourself, western mass, new hampshire, vermont and maine are full of old unmaintained public roads.

XJLI
September 19th, 2011, 12:01
speak for yourself, western mass, new hampshire, vermont and maine are full of old unmaintained public roads.

yea, but do you have a map for each and every one? does it tell you the trail difficulty? what about crossing private property? and how often are they updated? paved over? made into some county or town park that you cant drive through anymore?

not saying there arent trails, i've done miles in upstate ny in my old jeep on dirt roads... and also in my old subaru. i remember one trail about an hour north of hunter that was AWESOME, a solid blue with low black obstacles... drove on it for about 10 minutes til i hit a locked gate with still 3/4s of the road to go :(

if you know people who have been wheeling in the area for a while, they'll know places too. some are willing to tell you, others wont share their 'sacred wheeling ground.'

MoparManiac
September 19th, 2011, 12:14
yea, but do you have a map for each and every one? does it tell you the trail difficulty? what about crossing private property? and how often are they updated? paved over? made into some county or town park that you cant drive through anymore?

not saying there arent trails, i've done miles in upstate ny in my old jeep on dirt roads... and also in my old subaru. i remember one trail about an hour north of hunter that was AWESOME, a solid blue with low black obstacles... drove on it for about 10 minutes til i hit a locked gate with still 3/4s of the road to go :(

if you know people who have been wheeling in the area for a while, they'll know places too. some are willing to tell you, others wont share their 'sacred wheeling ground.'

NEA is working on building maps for class six roads.

There are PLENTY up there that aren't closed and don't have locked gates.

There is even a club based out of Vermont that did an expedition for miles across the state on nothing but unmaintained roads.

XJLI
September 19th, 2011, 12:26
There is even a club based out of Vermont that did an expedition for miles across the state on nothing but unmaintained roads.

ya i wheeled with a guy who was a member with a D90... he was all 'join the club come to meetings, pay the fee get a shirt we wheel every few months.' everyone about in the NE is uptight when it comes to trails, that is the end of my thought process.

MoparManiac
September 19th, 2011, 12:41
ya i wheeled with a guy who was a member with a D90... he was all 'join the club come to meetings, pay the fee get a shirt we wheel every few months.' everyone about in the NE is uptight when it comes to trails, that is the end of my thought process.

That's because you live in NY.

You are so ignorant about the rest of the NE it's amazing.

XJLI
September 19th, 2011, 12:52
That's because you live in NY.

You are so ignorant about the rest of the NE it's amazing.

you are so ignorant about the rest of the united states its amazing :eyes: :anon:

MoparManiac
September 19th, 2011, 12:54
you are so ignorant about the rest of the united states its amazing :eyes: :anon:

I thought we were just talking about the NE?

I am because I haven't traveled much :laugh:

At least I can ADMIT IT!!!

:D

XJLI
September 19th, 2011, 13:00
:moon:

one day when i have a driveable jeep i'll come see your 'mystical miles of unmaintained roads' :laugh2:

MoparManiac
September 19th, 2011, 13:03
:moon:

one day when i have a driveable jeep i'll come see your 'mystical miles of unmaintained roads' :laugh2:

Alright I'll see you never.

:thumbup:

Cottontail
September 19th, 2011, 13:20
Well, after that verbal exchange of pleasantries, back to the question that Doug posed, the responses that Nick and Tim posted, and Ed's comment about an SEC run....

Are there enough trails in the Boone area to support a couple days of riding, or is just a one and done place?

katuah
November 14th, 2011, 11:19
Just last night I read a thread on ExPo about a group that did what I thiiiink was a couple days in the area, but it wasn't continuous wild/off-pavmt - this ain't Utah. :-(

If you'll take a newbie along, I'm in. I went to App in the 80s but I haven't been up there in a wheelable Jeep in, uh, quite a few years. Would be fun to poke around.

bigalpha
November 14th, 2011, 12:03
FWIW, there's a bunch of trails at LBL that are pretty fun. They range from gravel to completely unmaintained. You could probably spend a day or two out there on them all.

OverlandZJ
November 14th, 2011, 18:40
Well, after that verbal exchange of pleasantries,

:laugh3:

Typical NACattack style from the best of em.... :laugh3:

That view from camp pic looks killer..

stumpXJ
December 11th, 2011, 07:18
Ive been trying to get you SEC guys to come on our EXPO trips for years now, and I am pretty sure not one person has showed up. There are TONS of unimproved/forest service roads, and you can ride for a LONG time on them. They offer tons of scenery, wildlife, awesome camping a lot of the times, etc etc. This isnt about 'wheelin' though, its about getting out and exploring.

In fact, I just posted a little camping trip for New years in the SEC forum, and also the big Coutry Fried Weekend coming up in January. If you want to get out an explore, get on board and come out with us.

Theres lots to do that doesnt involve broken u-joints and mashed up sheet metal.

~Stump

stumpXJ
December 11th, 2011, 08:54
Also, this site has some AWESOME info for N. Georgia. You can look at the files via google earth. This is a friend of mine, David who does GIS work for a living, and likes expedition style travel in his spare time. This is a lot of hard work and effort that he has just put out there for anyone to enjoy.

www.georgiaoverland.com

kastein
December 11th, 2011, 12:15
If I was anywhere near you I would be interested. Kinda far away though.

There have been some runs in Maine, NH, and VT (and probably upstate NY, lots of open space up there) but I've been too busy or too broken to attend.

stumpXJ
December 11th, 2011, 18:31
Yeah, you're off the hook. MA is a little far! Im talking to these guys that are within an hour or two of where we go, and there are tons of them.

ridgerunner97
December 11th, 2011, 18:41
I'm on expo as well and would love to make it down your way stump. I passed through unfortunately in a hurry post katrina on my way back from nola and I went thru dahlonega and up along the parkway past asheville. Some awesome terrain and pissed I didn't have time to bomb around down there for a week. That was before I knew of these web forums LOL

Western and central PA has some sweet scenic expedition style wheeling but the trails are all linked by blacktop and nothing too ridiculous unless there is snow, so that is when the bulk of our tougher wheeling happens. North Central WV is my favorite place to go, you can string old roads and tough trails together for a few days If you tried.

Lowrange2
December 12th, 2011, 05:45
Stump, if April wasn't having sugery on her knee on the 30th I'd be all for going on the new years trip. It'll have to wait for her to heal up now. :(

bigalpha
December 12th, 2011, 06:47
Theres lots to do that doesnt involve broken u-joints and mashed up sheet metal.

~Stump

This is definitely my type of excursion. Too bad my MJ is a pile.

stumpXJ
December 12th, 2011, 09:47
I'm on expo as well and would love to make it down your way stump. I passed through unfortunately in a hurry post katrina on my way back from nola and I went thru dahlonega and up along the parkway past asheville. Some awesome terrain and pissed I didn't have time to bomb around down there for a week. That was before I knew of these web forums LOL

Western and central PA has some sweet scenic expedition style wheeling but the trails are all linked by blacktop and nothing too ridiculous unless there is snow, so that is when the bulk of our tougher wheeling happens. North Central WV is my favorite place to go, you can string old roads and tough trails together for a few days If you tried.

I havent done much wheeling up that way at all, would love to take a trip though. I will be able to extend my trips as my daughter gets a little older. Right now im kind stuck to fairly local areas.

Stump, if April wasn't having sugery on her knee on the 30th I'd be all for going on the new years trip. It'll have to wait for her to heal up now. :(

I cant think of a better way to heal than with your feet up, kicked back in a reclining chair, by a nice warm camp fire. I will even make her some hot chocolate!

This is definitely my type of excursion. Too bad my MJ is a pile.

Fix it. Bring to my place, and ill help. It cant be as bad as some stuff I have worked on...

Life is too short to talk about doing it... :wantyou:

bigalpha
December 12th, 2011, 12:32
Fix it. Bring to my place, and ill help. It cant be as bad as some stuff I have worked on...

If I knew how to fix it, it'd already be fixed. It's mechanically solid (body and drivetrain) but it has some electrical problems. I think I"m just a bad mechanic :laugh:

stumpXJ
December 12th, 2011, 13:06
I have a worthless/un-used degree in electronics. I was a mechanic for 8 years. Bring it to my place, and I'll help.

See the similarities in my last two posts?

~ Stump

bigalpha
December 12th, 2011, 13:10
I have a worthless/un-used degree in electronics. I was a mechanic for 8 years. Bring it to my place, and I'll help.

See the similarities in my last two posts?

~ Stump

Are you telling me to bring my pile down and you'll help me iron out some of the problems with it? Because that sounds a lot like an offer of help. It's almost like you wouldn't mind checking things out and taking a looksie loo.

You know I'm not good at this "inter tubes" thing. ::geek:

stumpXJ
December 12th, 2011, 13:21
By george, I think you have it. If itll get you out in the woods...

But seriously - if I can help - I will.

bigalpha
December 12th, 2011, 13:24
By george, I think you have it. If itll get you out in the woods...

But seriously - if I can help - I will.

Both me and the ole lady love to go out for a drive - even better if it's someplace awesome. I'm going to shoot you a "private message". :D

DrMoab
December 12th, 2011, 13:29

Speaking of that.... When you coming west so we can show you what real exploration wheeling is all about?

stumpXJ
December 12th, 2011, 13:32
I hear ya man.. My little girl is 10 months old right now, and went on her first 'wheeling' trip two weeks ago. She had a good time, and will be ready for a few border crossings very soon. Its more about her mommy letting me take her out for longer than 8 hours...lol.

Bill (Hilldweller) has been working on getting me out west, and I will sooner rather than later. Ive explored 21 countries over 4 years in Europe, you would think that my own country/continent would be priority at this point - it is!