• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon readiness...

I haven't taken a cherokee on the rubicon yet, so am trying to have spares of what breaks on a 98 with 35's. Open rear, lockright front.

I have identical front and rear shafts, with a spare. I have an 8.25 rear with aftermarket shafts, but stock front shafts. Have a short side, but not a long side spare.

Anybody have any suggestions of things I haven't thought of, and anybody in Ventura County have a long side d30 shaft I can buy, borrow, rent for a spare?

Thanks much,

Mark

Since you don't say, I assume you have stock steering. Have spares.

Front axle shafts. May as well have a rear.

Tow points front and rear.

Transfer case skid, gas tank skid, rocker protection.

Wag bags. Pack it in, pack it out.

Matching, useable spare tire.

I just put a zj tie rod on today. xj is lifted on longarms, have tcase and gas tank skids and full size spare tire. Have a receiver hitch on the back, hangs kinda low, but can't help that, and have a winch bumper with warn hs9500i on the front. Don't have rocker protection yet, and don't have time to get it on there... hmmm. will take it easy and hope I can still open my doors when I get back.

I just put a zj tie rod on today. xj is lifted on longarms, have tcase and gas tank skids and full size spare tire. Have a receiver hitch on the back, hangs kinda low, but can't help that, and have a winch bumper with warn hs9500i on the front. Don't have rocker protection yet, and don't have time to get it on there... hmmm. will take it easy and hope I can still open my doors when I get back.

I ran the Rubicon two summers back and if you don't have sliders and you don't want damage then don't go. I don't care how careful you are, there is NO WAY your getting through and still having functioning doors at the end witout rocker protection. There are certain areas that the only way through is to just slide across stuff on your rock rails and other times you are forced to slam down onto them as your coming off obstacles. I guess you could go REALLY slow and pick REALLY careful lines to limit the damage, but then your gonna be on the trail for a week and have everyone in your group hating you. I'm not sure how pretty you want your rig to look at the end of the trail. My goal was to look the same coming out as I did going in. My rear driver side door didn't survive and my rear quarter panel got crushed and that was with lots of armor and sliders. If you don't care, then go nuts. If you dont get sliders then at least leave your doors at home.

Sliders are over rated :p Just get in and out of the jeep "Dukes of HAzard" style. :p

When i went ( with Bhicks ) 2 Summers back, I carried spares for the axles and for my steering. Also, take an extra brake line. You donet want to go down the Con with no brakes. Dont forget the Carne Asada :p

I just got back maybe 4 weeks ago, and i was on 32's and i would say dont go with out rocker protection.... My detours sliders did not show up on time so i made some sliders out of 1x2 with some sheet metal screws and i had to reattach them 3 times and now they are are just twisted pieces of metal. I still sustained pretty heavy rocker damage....

Just my humble opinion...

Nick

Ran the Rubicon 4 weeks ago, I would HIGHLY reccommend sliders, or severe rocker damage will happen, no doubt about it.

Oh yeah, as for spares, when we pulled into Buck Island Lake, a dude there was aking if we had a spare XJ leaf pack (thats the one spare part we didnt have). He cracked all the leafs in his passenger side pack, just aft of the spring plate.

Oh yeah, as for spares, when we pulled into Buck Island Lake, a dude there was aking if we had a spare XJ leaf pack (thats the one spare part we didnt have). He cracked all the leafs in his passenger side pack, just aft of the spring plate.

Damm! that has to suck! I would not be a happy camper at that point. HOpe that guy made it out OK.

Spare windows...

100_5560.jpg

Seriously... rock sliders.

Skullver is in Ventura. Send him a PM and im sure he can possible help making some.

I can vouch for his skills. Chris (skullver) built my front and rear bumpers and they took a serious beating on the Rubicon and still look great. Not much paint survived but the bumpers did. He is a super busy guy, but if he has time I'm sure he could fab something up for you for a good deal.

Back