• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alright, i'm stumped. noise when braking.

biztyke

NAXJA Forum User
i have a noise coming from the rear end when i brake. it's like a loud clicking, or rat-tat-tat. almost like a ratcheting noise. i don't get it when going slow and using light brake pressure, the noise gets louder the harder i brake. i can also feel it through my shift nob(whether i am in gear or neutral/clutch in).

i swapped in a j/y axle the other day, everything seemed to be fine for 2 days then i get this noise. the brakes i used from my old axle, they are about 6 months old. today i tried pulling the brakes out, checking everything then cleaning and reassembling. no change. i then replaced a suspect drive shaft u-joint, no change. i then noticed the drums looked a little warped and i thought i finally found it, i swapped in a set of good drums and still no change.

i'm pulling my hair out as i am trying to get this ready for sale. i have searched thoroughly(both here and google), the only other thing i am going to check is if the backing plate is bent and rubbing(doesn't sound like that kinda noise tho). and ideas?? could it be something in the diff itself(everything looked good inside)?

Back