• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a high flow catalytic converter

Geck_87laredo

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know where i can get a cheap 3in3out Cat? It needs to be CA legal if you didn't already know. lol

I have a 4.6 with Borla headers and everything behind it is stock:laugh:

just replaced one... it was cheaper to have a shop install one, than to buy one from summit, roll out the welder... grab the helmet, get dirty.... $150 and its DONE. worked for me...

Just saw they have a magnaflow cat in the 4 Wheel Parts Cherokee magazine today (atleast for my 87) - $97! Tho I didn't pay attention to whether it was high flow or not.. just passin on what i saw

Eh, "high flow" cats came from the phasing out of the old bricks in the 80s. Realistically all cats nowadays have the same free flowing honeycomb guts. The higher flow refers simply to the design of the shell. And from everything I've gathered with my 4.7, 2.5 is big enough... though I've not dyno tested it.

If the smog guy notices a new cat, he has to check the number on the cat against the number listed in the book for that model, if it's not the same it will fail smog. In CA, you have no choice but to go to the muffler shop and buy the right cat for your year and model......unless you just get lucky, but not worth the risk. Cheap isn't cheap anymore if you have to replace it.

I have a friend that took his off and just installs it when he goes for smog. My Jeep is a 97 though and i don't think i can deal with a check engine light on all the time.
Is getting a bigger cat really worth it? I will probably get a 2.5" one.
Goatman- Do you mean if the smog guy notices a new cat...it might just fail visually? Or when they actually run it, it will fail?

I think i will just get a 2.5" one...
I have a friend that runs no cat and when smog time comes around he installs it and goes for smog. My jeep is a 97 though and i do not think i can deal with a check engine light on all the time on my dash. It's just something that would bug the hell outta me.

Is it worth it to go to a 2.5" ?
I have a 4.6 stroker and just feel that with this stock exhaust it needs to be opened up so it can flow better.

So goatman is saying it might fail visually? I have never seen a smog shop even look at my cat (my smog shop anyway) so i think i would be if it's just a visual thing.

No, I'm not saying it will fail visually. I'm saying that CA smog law requires each vehicle to have the cat that was meant for that vehicle. Each cat has a part number, and if the smog guy notices that you have a new cat, then he must check the part number on the cat to see that it matches the part number that is required for that make, model, and year. If you don't have the right cat, it will fail smog. You have no choice but to buy the cat that belongs on that car. If you want to remove the cat after getting it smogged so you don't beat it up on the trail, then do it, but when you get it smogged it must have the correct cat. PIA

i usually dump exhaust after the muffler, before the rear axle... you can imagine how likely the smog guys are to look at your cat based on how much they complain about having to reach under the truck to get his sniffer on the exhaust tip.. which is A LOT.

Back